What's new

Buying a scooter in Japan

Petaris

Sailing away...
Top Donor
3 Aug 2007
Hi all,
I have been looking at a few older posts and some links that were in them ( bikerfaq-classes & bikerfaq-menkyo ) and I have a few questions.

First, Would a Honda Gyro Canopy be considered a gentsuki even though it has three wheels instead of two? I know the main determination is the engine size but since it specifically mentions the classes are for two wheeled vehicles I'm curious about this.

Second, The license page mentions about getting a scooter only license and says its "trivial" but doesn't give any details. Does anyone know what is involved for that type of license?

Third, I have a normal license in the US but not a motorcycle endorsement, would it be better if I got a motorcycle endorsement here and just took the required test to convert my US license to a Japanese one?

Fourth, It mentions that insurance is applies to the bike does that mean that my wife could use it too without needing to buy more insurance for her? I am asking as I have heard that with a car the insurance applies to the person, not the vehicle.

Probably more questions later.

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Anyone have any information on buying a Honda Gyro Canopy in Japan?

Thanks, :)

I think from the pictures I have seen of the Honda Gyro and the license plate it does indeed qualify as a gentsuki.

Does anyone have any input on the other questions I asked?

Thanks!

Thanks Mike! :)

I did actually stumble across some info on the test the other day too. Actually my wife found a web site that had info on another topic and I found they had info on gentsuki as well.

Here is the page on the Osaka University site: http://www.gcn-osaka.jp/living/lo03-02-01.html

Also, not quite related but still relevant, here is a page on switching a foreign drivers license to a Japanese license: http://www.gcn-osaka.jp/living/lo03-02-02.html

I am going to check out that link Mike posted and see what I can learn.

Thanks again!
:)

Back
Top Bottom