What's new

Books For Vocabulary

Dradoner1690

後輩
21 Sep 2016
These past few months I have not made any process in learning Japanese because I have been busy with my studies and was looking for books to learn hiragana katakana where you learn how to write it read it use it in examples etc. Another thing I was looking for was a book where I would expand my vocabulary so that I can start forming coherent sentences it would be nice if they did not start from vocabulary a young kid would say but something an adolescent to an adult would use in everyday conversations. All help is appreciated.

It's nice that you appreciate help. It would be nicer if you would actually listen to what we try to tell you.

Every few months you ask us essentially the same question. The answer hasn't changed: get a textbook.

It's nice that you appreciate help. It would be nicer if you would actually listen to what we try to tell you.

Every few months you ask us essentially the same question. The answer hasn't changed: get a textbook.
I have saved enough money to be able to afford a few books and since I had not found any books that fit what I was looking for I was hoping to be able to ask a more specific question. Ok so this is probably going to by my last question and this will help me wrap my head around the learning concept so I should learn hiragana katakana be able to identify each symbol and what sound they make then I should get a children's book to learn to identify hiragana and katakana in the text. Then I should get to understand what I'm looking at by learning vocab through textbooks. Then work on my kanji?
And I'm sorry for asking this every few months but it bothers me not having a detailed plan on how I am going to efficiently learn something.

Honestly if you put in a serious attempt anywhere from half an hour to an hour with a chart of the kana (hiragana/katakana) and you should be able to memorize them.

Get a good textbook and work through it. That should allow you to identify hiragana/katakana in the text. No need for children's books. To learn hiragana/katakana itself, just make flash cards or use a flash-card-like app. Also practice writing them.

You don't need to make a plan. Textbook authors have already done that for you. Follow the lessons, do the exercises. Ask us questions if needed. And wa-la you will know Japanese.

Do you have trouble understanding what you read?

Children's books are no good.

Get a textbook.

That's as simple as I can write it.

Congrats Mike on your 15,000th post. I took a picture for you so you can savor it.

Attachments

• IMG_8770.JPG
    IMG_8770.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 81
Gee, and it seems like only yesterday I made my 10,000th post....

A lot of people/colleges use Genki. It's should cost you anywhere from $30-50 depending on where you buy it from and conditioning. You might be able to find it cheaper if you buy a previous version. But it also depends on what you consider insanely expensive $30-50 isn't insanely expensive in my view for a good Japanese book. Just remember if that seems expensive you get what you pay for.

Just remember if that seems expensive you get what you pay for.

And if he takes halfway decent care of it he can recoup some of the cost by reselling it when he no longer needs it.

I still have my old elementary Japanese textbook, but that's equal parts sentimental reasons and the fact there isn't much market for a text so old it talks about eating ビフテキ, going to 百貨店, and listening to レコード.

Back
Top Bottom