What's new

Blacklist of English teachers

Eigo

Kouhai
16 Jan 2020
I'm just wondering, is there a forum, website or some sort of online system Japanese schools use to communicate which foreign teacher's are blacklisted and shouldn't be employed?

I'm asking because my new employer said to me on Saturday "It's a small world. I've been given information you have a bad reputation.". I have no idea, not one clue what she was talking about as my track record is clean...as far as I know. All past employers have always provided references etc without issue.

I must say however, I have moved back into my old city and it is possible someone that held a grudge or whatever has past on some sort of bad character references...but I've never fallen out with anyone here either so I really do not know what my new boss (Japanese) was talking about as she just glossed over it and talked about something else.

I don't know of anything about that, but there should be.

As a previous school owner, "contracting" out work to Americans was hell; they'd determine their own hours and quit without even a call leaving us high and dry.

Hope your situation improves, and you weren't that type as it costs countless hours and yens, and you land something.

No I'm not and wasn't that type of teacher. I'm British but that's no defence...maybe worse actually. I'll elaborate a little.

I left a second year contract last year but worked my notified agreed days as discussed between my manager and I but I don't honestly see that being worthy of blacklisting.

No, what I'm thinking of is I gave my email address to an adult student as she was preparing for an important speech at work and was very nervous about the quality of her speech. So I just told her to send it to me for final checks etc but it was a personal email address. But the thing I'm guessing that might have gotten me into trouble could be that I gave an adult student my Facebook details AFTER I left my last job before Christmas, but my employer there (former) found out and went nuts!

I recognise this is not professional behaviour, but worthy of a bad reputation?

I have no idea what else I've done.

After you left your job? Then your employer had no right to go nuts.

I know and I had this out with her as did the student. The student told me she'd just paid for a full 6 months of lessons otherwise would have quit because she actually received a call from that employer and was grilled about me giving her my Facebook name. The student was shook up due to it.

Anyway I'm suspecting my current/new employer has been in touch with that old boss and something weird's happened.

Trust me, I'm not a good looking guy, there's no way I'd start asking students out on dates etc, but I think that's where their conversation may have gone. Just guessing though, but for my new employer to come out with this "reputation" thing then end things and not elaborate (I tried twice to gently get to her explain)...I'm not feeling so great and at a loss!

No, what I'm thinking of is I gave my email address to an adult student as she was preparing for an important speech
We had a completely different approach at this. Two consenting adults were two consenting adults.

We were just against poaching.

Good luck nonetheless!

I don't know of any such blacklist, but who can say? Right now, the point is whether their perception of you has negatively affected your job.

Sure he does. Employers have the right to do whatever they want. They could have just as easily told him to go home and wait and never call him. Since he won't get the job, he should demand to know what the bad rap about him is. What is there to be scared of since he wnt get the job?

Sure he does. Employers have the right to do whatever they want. They could have just as easily told him to go home and wait and never call him. Since he won't get the job, he should demand to know what the bad rap about him is. What is there to be scared of since he wnt get the job?

Just to clear a few things up. I'm in my new job. I interviewed for it before Christmas 2019 and moved back into a city I used to live in 4 years ago. My new employer just brought up something to the effect of..."It's a small world and I've been given information that you have a bad reputation". Finished. She wouldn't explain or anything when I asked twice, so I have absolutely no idea what she's referring to other than a student that didn't take to me last time I worked in this city, a parent that observed me on an observation day that didn't like my teaching style, a colleague that secretly held a grudge...I have no idea. My new employer brought it up in a meeting between the two of us, then just continued with certain school protocols I should follow when locking up at the end of the day.

However, I am in a "probation" period so this is worrying me that whatever this reputation smudge is, I cannot defend nor explain myself and fearing that whatever it is, even if it was a personality clash with a colleague, could tip the balance in the final decision to fully award me the job out of the probation period.

Well, it is good that you got a different job. That kind of crap wouldn't fly in America. No way!

I wouldn't worry too much about the probation thing. You can do more with your life than just teach English, right? I worked as an employee for much of my life and it is crap and I will never go back.

Many employees believe getting a job is the safest and most secure way to support themselves.

Moronic!

Social conditioning is amazing. It's so good it can even make people believe the exact opposite of the truth.

Does putting yourself in a position where someone else can turn off all your income just by saying two words ("You're fired") sound like a safe and secure situation to you? (Or in your case, "It's a small world.")

When you run into an idiot in the entrepreneurial world, you can turn around and head the other way. When you run into an idiot in the employee world, you have to turn around and say, "Sorry, boss."

I feel for you since I have been there. Good luck.

You don't think they can find any excuse they want to not hire or to fire you whenever they want? Sure there are labor laws but they protect the employer more than the employee. If you quit and don't give them adequate notice then they will not give you a review when your next employer calls them but if they fire you without adequate notice because of a made of violation then you are f'd both ways. But if you think being an employee is the way for you then bravo to you.

You don't think they can find any excuse they want to not hire or to fire you whenever they want? Sure there are labor laws but they protect the employer more than the employee. If you quit and don't give them adequate notice then they will not give you a review when your next employer calls them but if they fire you without adequate notice because of a made of violation then you are f'd both ways. But if you think being an employee is the way for you then bravo to you.
How do you sustain yourself financially? You're being vague and ambiguous as to what you're saying.You're either unemployed or pretty good with stocks and shares surely?

How do you earn money to pay the rent?

It's a long-*** story. But to make it short, I went through a horrible divorce 10 years ago that left me with nothing and out of a job. I lived out of a little rented room drunk and jobless like that for 8 months. After finally finding a decent job and working it for 3 years, I started an eBay business selling Oriental decor retail through a wholesaler I luckily met by chance at a party. Then I quit my Job and started selling hotdogs on the street out of a cart. I started buying and renting out more carts and turned that into a catering business. I also drove for Uber and Lyft at night and on weekends. Saved up enough money to buy a foreclosed house for cash at the auction and was able to flip it the next month after some minor fixing up. I did that about a dozen times and then decided to do the same in South East Asia, where I am now. So I go back and forth between SEA and California and when my properties aren't being flipped they are being rented out through Bnb, booking.com, locals, etc. I also vacation a lot and Japan is probably my favorite place since HK is crap now.

But I still have to go into the "office" but the office is wherever and whenever I want.

here is a picture of my office today:
IMG-20190927-152022-1.jpg

Last edited:
It's a long-*** story. But to make it short, I went through a horrible divorce 10 years ago that left me with nothing and out of a job. I lived out of a little rented room drunk and jobless like that for 8 months. After finally finding a decent job and working it for 3 years, I started an eBay business selling Oriental decor retail through a wholesaler I luckily met by chance at a party. Then I quit my Job and started selling hotdogs on the street out of a cart. I started buying and renting out more carts and turned that into a catering business. I also drove for Uber and Lift at night and on weekends. Saved up enough money to buy a foreclosed house for cash at the auction and was able to flip it the next month after some minor fixing up. I did that about a dozen times and then decided to do the same in South East Asia, where I am now. So I go back and forth between SEA and California and when my properties aren't being flipped they are being rented out through Bnb, booking.com, locals, etc. I also vacation a lot and Japan is probably my favorite place since HK is crap now.

But I still have to go into the "office" but the office is wherever and whenever I want.

here is a picture of my office today:
IMG-20190927-152022-1.jpg
All I can say is...well done. I think you deserve it from what you've said. Good job!

But for me, it's not a question of being in a job as a teacher...it's who I am, not what I do and I'd do it for pennies if they could pay the bills. Ideological BS maybe, but I'm hardwired to do this and I don't ever think I could give it up to just earn a coin.

There is no reason why you can't do all. Nor is there a reason why you have to do it for pennies. Show me proof that you were hardwired. You don't think that you could open an academy and also teach for free?

I am planning to open an English academy in the next 6 months and currently, I am teaching English for free when I have time and if the student is pretty.

There is no reason why you can't do all. Nor is there a reason why you have to do it for pennies. Show me proof that you were hardwired. You don't think that you could open an academy and also teach for free?

I am planning to open an English academy in the next 6 months and currently, I am teaching English for free when I have time and if the student is pretty.
Haha I think I've heard enough from you. Good luck. I'm out.

Well, back in 2013 when traveling in Japan, i met a person who teach there. I believe there is a teacher forum. But a blacklist teacher forum, Japan education system is not stupid enough to have one. Most likely they did a background check and call around and someone open up.

Back
Top Bottom