What's new

as ... as possible

Alma

nature's sweet success
2 Apr 2005
hello

I am wondering about numerous ways to say - as much as possible... なるべく; なるたけ; なるだけ ... what is the difference? are these OK to write or they are just for conversation?

also, how to say - as fast as possible... or similar things...

so far I was using mainly できるだけ :shy:

hello

I am wondering about numerous ways to say - as much as possible... なるべく; なるたけ; なるだけ ... what is the difference? are these OK to write or they are just for conversation?

also, how to say - as fast as possible... or similar things...

so far I was using mainly できるだけ :shy:

As ... as possible
できるだけ~

なるべく is also OK (either in conversation or writing).
I think なるべく is much weaker compared with できるだけ which is asking for effort or something to the full extent when used in request.
なるべく is more like "is possible".
なるたけ is similar to なるべく, though less commonly used.
I've never heard of なるだけ.

e.g.
できるだけ早く来てください。 Please come as early as possible.
なるべく早く来てください。 Please come early if possible (I'd be grateful if you could come early.)

As ... as possible
できるだけ~

なるべく is also OK (either in conversation or writing).
I think なるべく is much weaker compared with できるだけ which is asking for effort or something to the full extent when used in request.
なるべく is more like "is possible".
なるたけ is similar to なるべく, though less commonly used.
I've never heard of なるだけ.

e.g.
できるだけ早く来てください。 Please come as early as possible.
なるべく早く来てください。 Please come early if possible (I'd be grateful if you could come early.)

And なるべく can also be used in contexts the speaker has full control. It's odd to me, unless out of politeness why don't they just use できるだけ, but things like these actually do work.... :bored:

"Narubeku Yukkuri to hanashitai" or "Narubeku yukkuri to hanasu you ni shimasu" etc.

thank you!!!!
so, I will "stick" with できるだけ in future... I was actually writing some report, and at the end used something completely different - said about possibilities and transformed it
but thank you anyway, this is really helpful! 👍

Back
Top Bottom