What's new

Want to learn Japanese quickly? It's possible..

SacredBlue

先輩
13 Oct 2003
I never said it was easy though! There is a way, but it'll cost you money and perhaps your sanity :)

- About

This is arguably the most intensive course offered anywhere in the world, the Japanese course consists of 9 hours of Japanese a day for a summer or up to a whole year.

Everyone I know who has done the year course is literally fluent. Not situational fluent or textbook fluent, I mean actually fluent. Although when you think about it, it's easy to see why..In a year they will have completed 2200 hours of Japanese study under professional native Japanese teachers.

It's geared toward college students, but is open to high school students. Though I think the cut off age is 17, as the dorm system cannot allow people younger than 17 living in the dorms.

To join you need to fill out an application, that among the usual things asks how much do you study Japanese, where have you studied it, what books have you covered, etc. You also need to write an essay on "Your career goals and how they relate to Japan". I believe this is the part that they mainly judge you on. I highly doubt they'd accept someone that put anime or manga as a reason, but would favor someone who said they wished to become a defense lawyer for foreigners in Japan, or a business man, teacher, etc. Also the number 1 thing they look for is motivation, and I see the highest of motivated students having trouble on something like the year course.

Personally for my essay I wrote what I wrote in the "Why are you learning Japanese?" post on this forum, and i've been accepted into the summer Japanese program. I kind of wanted to go to Japan this summer, but I figured why should I go to Japan if my language skills are still crap?

These programs are also very expensive, the summer one is going to cost me $6,000 not including room and board. The academic year course costs around $27,000, the same as tuition to Cornell's College of Arts and Sciences.

So basically I posted this for anyone who really wants to learn Japanese, at any means necessary in the shortest amount of time. A year is a very short amount of time, especially to learn Japanese.

If anyone has questions or such I'll be happy to answer them.

Wow, congratulations SacredBlue! Or should I say, おめでとうございます、SacredBlueさん! I guess you'll be correcting everyone in here's Japanese and answering all of our questions soon enough, ne? That looks like an awesome opportunity, and I wish you the best with it. がんばってね。:D

ありがとうございました:) このあとでさえ、俺はまだ下手んだと思う。でも、いつか大丈夫になれるでしょう。

SacredBlueさん、日本語習いへの入学おめでとうございま ! :)

将来「ビズネスとか」に使える見込みがある (Do you have the hope, possibility Japanese can someday be used in business?) ので日本語を勉強していますか? どうして日本語を勉強していますか?

ところで、「あとでさえ」という表現はなんでしょうか? 多分「あとでも」と言いたかったのですか? [Even afterwards] という意味になりますね。

Congratulations, Sacred!

I wanted to do a Japanese program at Mulberry, but I decided against it. I wish you luck! Your Japanese skills don't seem too "crappy" to me!

I'd post something in Japanese, but then you'd really see what "crappy" Japanese is!

Good luck!

Impressive... this is extremely tempting, but alas I have a CS major to go for right now and can barely afford it.

What about the summer program though? I'm very curious about that part. I checked the site a tad, but could you offer any more info yourself? Did you take the summer or year? What is main differences between the time and material covered?

皆さんありがとう:)

将来「ビズネスとか」に使える見込みがある (Do you have the hope, possibility Japanese can someday be used in business?) ので日本語を勉強していますか? どうして日本語を勉強していますか?
ええ、日本で英語の教師になるでしょう。そして、日本で教えましたあとで、アメリカに帰って住みます。でも、これは変わるかもしれません。

ところで、「あとでさえ」という表現はなんでしょうか
? 多分「あとでも」と言いたかったのですか? [Even afterwards] という意味になりますね。
はい、これを言いたかった。ありがとう!🙇

I wanted to do a Japanese program at Mulberry, but I decided against it. I wish you luck! Your Japanese skills don't seem too "crappy" to me!
ありがとう^^I hear alot about Mulberry, apparently that's where the U.S. Government sends all of it's FBI and CIA agents to be trained. It's also supposed to be very hard, because in the dorm you stay in you're not allowed to talk English (even with friends), watch English movies, read English magazines. All in Japanese! But that's the best way to learn ね

What about the summer program though? I'm very curious about that part. I checked the site a tad, but could you offer any more info yourself? Did you take the summer or year? What is main differences between the time and material covered?
I haven't taken the course yet, I will be taking it this summer. However from talking to the people who've done it and work there I have a pretty good idea of what to expect. The FALCON program uses the book "Japanese: The Spoken Language" by Eleanor Harz Jorden. This book is used for Japanese classes at Cornell Uni, Yale, Wellesly College and up until recently, Harvard. I believe the summer course covers Book 1 and the year covers the whole series.

I have this book, and it's purely focused on speaking, which in essence is what the FALCON course focuses on. Even though the Romaji system used in these books make me sick, students don't need to worry about it because the course focuses that much on speaking and listening. What makes the book shine is how realistic and un-textbook like it is, for example you learn speech patterns and status/gender-specific particles right from the start. So it pretty much does its best to make you speak like a native.

:)

Keep us updated if you can :) Would be great to know how it turns out. Good luck and thanks for letting everyone know.

Yeah, Mulberry is all spoken, and it's really hard. My sister is trying to do the Portugese school (she's fluent in Spanish, so she thinks she can handle it).

I didn't want to do the Japanese program because, although I believe speaking is the most essential part of the program, I probably wouldn't be able to handle it. I know you are thinking "Well, you are going to Japan! You'll have to speak!" I guess I am just trying to hold on to not speaking Japanese, because I sound like a dork. Ha ha ha :)

But, then again, practice makes perfect.

Hey, have any of you ever been to a language school before???

Originally posted by SacredBlue
皆さんありがとう

ええ、日本で英語の教師になるでしょう。そして、日本で教えましたあとで、アメリカに帰って住みます。でも、これは変わるかもしれません。

ああ、そうですか?英語を教えに日本に行くと求めている価値が十分ある目的ですね。(The goal of going to Japan to teach is well worth pursuing?) 今は日本にどのぐらいいる予定かわからなくても、日本語を知っていればいるほど面白い旅行が出来るんですね。「どんなに時間がかかっても日本語をマスターしたいと思う」とか「日本語を流暢になれるためにいかなる努力も惜しまない」というSacredBlueさんのように誰も私の決意を変えられない。ですから、将来、一、二年間勉強しに日本に行くつもりです。でも、いまはSacredBlueさんはお金も時間も沢山あるようだすけど、私はどちらもないんです。:)

SacredBlue, I was wondering if you would mind letting us all know how the summer in Japan went. I will soon be studying Japanese at university in the UK, but am considering spending my first summer on a course similar to those that you have mentioned in order to give myself a significant boost. It can only help, right?

:D

So, could you please let us know how the summer course progressed, whether or not you feel it was a worthwhile experience and how much your Japanese (all forms (i.e. reading, writing, speaking and listening)) has improved as a result?

I think it would be important that after the course, you'd continue to keep using your Japanese, so they'd want to make sure you're motivated! Else all that Japanese can just go right down the drain in no time when left unattended. :p Good luck!

Keiichi

😊

Drkns said:
SacredBlue, I was wondering if you would mind letting us all know how the summer in Japan went. I will soon be studying Japanese at university in the UK, but am considering spending my first summer on a course similar to those that you have mentioned in order to give myself a significant boost. It can only help, right?
SacredBlue is no longer with us, unfortunately. Specifically, he has only been back once that I know of since this posting circa Jan '04. 😌

Elizabeth said:
SacredBlue is no longer with us, unfortunately. Specifically, he has only been back once that I know of since this posting circa Jan '04. 😌

Thank you for the information Elizabeth. I see if the admin(s) can help me hunt him down. If anybody else has had an experience at either of the institutions mentioned above, please post and let us know about it!

:D :p

The world renowned Debito is an alumnus of Cornell's program. You might wish to contact him privately for information.

Back
Top Bottom