What's new

Applying for JET, need geographical recommendations.

Ryan-

先輩
10 Nov 2008
I won't be driving if I get accepted, so I'm looking for places that have convenient public transportation systems and perhaps <3 hours away from a big city. Ideally this is in the Touhoku, Chuubu, or Kantou regions. Unfortunately most JETs get placed rurally, suburban if lucky. Does anyone have recommendations to put down on the application?

Unless you can show some serious reason why you should be placed somewhere, the best you can do is list what 3 places interest you the most.

Got a medical reason you can't live somewhere?
Know family somewhere? (Don't mention girlfriends or boyfriends.)
Have previously lived somewhere?

Even with sound reasons, JET can just put you anywhere if the BOE or school(s) say they want someone like you.

What do you mean by "I won't be driving"? Don't you have a driver's license? Are you afraid of driving on the left? This fact alone could be off-putting, as most locations are so rural that they require driving.

No medical reasons, no I don't know anyone there, no I've never been there, no driver's license.

I know they can put me where they would like to, but I'd like to select three places that would be suitable on the offchance that I get a placement I request, and I'd like to be able to justify it when they ask why I selected those places.

I won't be driving if I get accepted, so I'm looking for places that have convenient public transportation systems and perhaps <3 hours away from a big city. Ideally this is in the Touhoku, Chuubu, or Kantou regions. Unfortunately most JETs get placed rurally, suburban if lucky. Does anyone have recommendations to put down on the application?
Without a car, less than 3 hours away by what mode of public transportation ? Via Shinkansen the a distance is relative from Tokyo to Morioka, by local train and numerous stops, if you're lucky, it's more like half way to Nagoya. :?

I'm really just looking for places that aren't totally out of the question without a car, from which I can get to larger sightseeing destinations without too much trouble in my offtime.

Remember that shinkansen are very expensive. Though night buses are good if you are spending more than a weekend somewhere.

I would suggest you look for cities that run along the Tokaido train line. But there is certainly no guarantee that you will be able to get by without a car, even in medium sized (100,000-300,000 person) towns. You could end up living really far away from your school, and I would imagine the buses tend to be pretty infrequent and inconvenient in towns that have the above populations. In order to most certainly survive (conveniently) by bike and bus I would say you should shoot for towns that have at least 800,000+ people.

I'm really just looking for places that aren't totally out of the question without a car, from which I can get to larger sightseeing destinations without too much trouble in my offtime.
Find a few off the beaten path small or medium sized towns in otherwise isolated prefectures with a strong cultural identity. Places that are destination cities for traditional craftsmanship, original architecture and history or that specialize in promoting a local attraction. Not only is it more realistic in terms of placement, you'll immediately stand out from anyone in it for the shopping, socializing and other big city extravangas. 👍

No medical reasons, no I don't know anyone there, no I've never been there, no driver's license.

I know they can put me where they would like to, but I'd like to select three places that would be suitable on the offchance that I get a placement I request, and I'd like to be able to justify it when they ask why I selected those places.

While it isn't impossible to get around without a car (particularly if you are a strong cyclist, have lots of friends with cars, or are lucky enough to be in a large city with public transportation), I strongly advise getting your driver's license if possible. Getting an international license is a simple, $15 process and attempting to get a license in Japan after the fact with no home country license is a long and costly process. You'll be spending money and vacation days (since the DMVs are only open during weekdays and during school hours) attempting both the written and driving tests, and the easier you can make this on yourself, the better. Something like 85% of foreigners fail the driving test the first time in my prefecture, largely based on counter-intuitive rules and wildly varying instructors.

That said, even in my country town, there have been JETs who didn't need a car and got around fine. This is a decision made AFTER getting here, though. They also had to ask for rides to every monthly meeting, every demonstration class, and every BOE or school run party. It's not that bad if you're close to folks in your area, but being at the mercy of someone else isn't a feeling I think many enjoy.

I also find a car to be extremely helpful as a JET. It snows often here, I'm constantly toting teaching materials between 3 schools, and it offers a great deal of freedom. That said, the "every situation is different" JET mantra will be drummed into your head if you get in, and you may find that none of this advice applies to you.

In terms of city size, you can request away, but it's all a crapshoot. Hope you get in, though, and find a placement that works for you.

Well, it's not so easy since I don't have a license or a car right now. Maybe that can be my project if I get accepted.

Well, it's not so easy since I don't have a license or a car right now. Maybe that can be my project if I get accepted.

Just a small heads up, it's much easier to get your Japanese license if you've owned your home country's license for at least 6 months (they verify by looking at your passport and/or the date issued listed on your license. The written test is much easier, and you can get to the driving test faster. This is much cheaper than going the all-Japanese route (which can cost something like 300,000 yen if you start from scratch and go through their driver's schools).

After the fact may reduce your chances.

I'd count on it. No matter how flexible, no one is going to high someone who can't even get to work. Having a car is absolutely necessary in many JET positions.

You better rethink that stuff on your application damn fast.

Back
Top Bottom