What's new

Applying for a permanent residence

I'm asking my company to write me a letter of recommendation, but are there any specific things I should ask them to write?

Just hope they don't give you the same kind of introduction Mark Twain received before speaking to a group of gold miners:

"I don't know anything about this man. Anyhow, I only know two things about him. One is he has never been in jail and the other is I don't know why."

I love his quotes so maybe they will put a nice one in it

"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company"

I got my permanent visa after 5 years.
I paid all my taxes, insurances, credit cards, pension etc and gathered all the necessary documents. I went in last July to submit the documents which took about 5 hours as it was busy. Then in November I got the postcard to go back and there was my shiny new permanent visa. Had no issues at all.

I wonder if anyone wrote a riyuusho?理由書 and what kind of things you actually wrote it in and the layout style... Or am I caring too much now?

PR does not have to be renewed as often as a work visa or spouse visa.
PR gives you better credit at banks, in many cases anyway, so if you want to build a house, there you go!

If you're asking about why wait 10 years, however, that could be so varied an answer. Some people may have come and gone from the country, thus not having a continuous residency here (and therefore may have thought that affected their application). Some people may simply have not had a spouse visa for 10 years, but instead may have had 1-year work visa renewals or something like that. Yes, immigration seems to prefer that if you are married to a Japanese, that you keep the spouse visa for at least one 3-year period, but it's not a fixed immigration policy. Makes sense that they would want to see some proof like that to suggest you are serious about staying together. Lots of "marriages of convenience", you know.

I was here for 3 years on work visa, got married and therefore got a spousal visa, but it was only for 1 year at a time, so after 3 or 4 more years I applied for PR at the same time I renewed my spousal visa. I guess I was lucky in that I got my PR only 2 and a half months later. Some people wait far longer. As they say, your mileage may vary.

I got mine much like Glenski. On a spouse visa for 3 years, and just checked the "apply for permanent resident box" instead of "renew spousal visa" and there it was in a couple months. Did not even have to submit any documents or anything. This was some years ago. Just a bit afterwards a buddy of mine went to get his and had to bring in a pile of paperwork. Go figure.

I just received my PR visa, after 3 years of marriage to my J spouse (though I've been in the country for almost 10 years). It felt like an awful ordeal, but that might be because we had a particularly cold immigration official tell us that everything about our relationship is "strange", and that it would be very difficult for us, as my husband was doing organic farming at the time, not working as a salaryman. The fact that I have a full-time job didn't seem to matter... After about 2 months, they did a house visit, and photographed everything. Then 2 months after that, we finally got the card in the mailbox. The wait sucked! But, maybe our stress was for nothing.

Well, congratulations all the same. Now that you have PR, there is virtually nothing you can do that will cause them to revoke it. You only have to renew the card every 7 years, I think. My "ordeal" was far less traumatic, took only 2-3 months and withOUT any home visits. I've never heard of a home visit for PR, only for people who want to naturalize. Heck, I even showed up with a single copy of the necessary documents, instead of the 2 copies needed, and they just shrugged and made copies for me! Welcome to the fold.

It has been sometime since I got PR status, but I certainly would not hire someone to do it for me. It is a straightforward process of gathering documents.

Good luck

Thanks guys! Got the card last week... Love the expiration date on it with only stars behind them.

@Mike Cash
Never be able to leave the island... Hope my 3 wishes will work then.

Back
Top Bottom