What's new

Any tip for a returning expatriate to Japan?

JerseyBoy

Back in town
31 Dec 2005
This is awkward; but, I would like to post this anyway because there are many people on this forum who were in Japan or are in Japan. After more than 13 years out of Japan, I am going back to Japan from USA in a month or so (I have to resign from my company without alienating them so that I can keep the door open for the possible job opportunity with its Japanese branches as a last resort in case my current multiple leads fail, which I hope does not happen as I have great experience in sales/marketing/international trade in bilingual environment).
Since I have my parents still living, I am lucky to have a shelter during this transition. I have so many things to do as soon as I hit the Japanese soil, such as getting a Japanese driver's license from my NY or NJ driver license, getting a cell phone, setting up a WiFi at home, visiting the head hunters I have been corresponding already via email, finally going for job interviews (which I had to put on hold because I am still here), visiting relatives (I hope they don't ask me if I can still use chopsticks), take some good pictures of Kyoto and Nara (I picked up photography as a hobby in USA, along with Photoshop and the rest of Adobe CS2 skills), and the lists goes on and on......
Time passes by so quickly.......
Even though I think I would be better positioned than other non Japanese who took a plunge into Japan (simply because I am a Japanese national), I thought it does not hurt to ask the forum members any advise or suggestion for an expatriate going back to the home country after so many years. I hope I don't be considered as a foreigner when I go home.

I recall your name from a few other posts, but forgive me for not remembering more than that. This will be filled with more questions than advice.

How good is your Japanese?
Do you hold a Japanese passport or an American one? How old are you?

You don't have to change your driver's license, not right away anyhow. You can get an international driver's permit, which is good for the first 12 months you are here. After that, you can change your American license over with a written and driving test. (It'll cost you about $100.)

Put the photography on hold if you are that serious about getting a job. Do you plan to live here forever, a long time, or a short time?

What's the rush to be here in a month, and "alienate" your current company which seems to have a branch in Japan (an ideal way to come)?

Are you going to stay with your family here while you job hunt? If not, you'll probably be best off financially in a guest house/gaijin house until you are hired.

What did you do here 13 years ago? Anything you can use for experience on a resume work-wise?

Have you looked at www.daijob.com or www.careercross.com for job ads for bilinguals?

Don't expect to return to the same Japan you left 13 years ago. Treat it as going to a foreign country again. That's what I have to do when I visit America.

Don't expect to return to the same Japan you left 13 years ago. Treat it as going to a foreign country again. That's what I have to do when I visit America.
I believe I will find that to be true (that is the reason for this thread). With so many to-do lists and the possible jet lag, I would set aside several days to get myself soak in. In a sense, I would be a foreigner (for now) even though I have a Japanese citizenship.

Regarding some of the questions Glenski posted, I have not yet decided on how long I would stay in Japan. It can be a staging point again for the next long term overseas assignment. Or, I would be only doing some periodic overseas business trips from Japan. I have an experience in the international commerce and trade. I have set up a few interview appointments with the foreign owned firms in Japan already and I am dying to get on with those meetings. I am taking steps to be prepared as much as possible well in advance.

Ok, Jersey Boy, I have a little better idea of what your situation is.
You are Japanese who has been living in the USA on some sort of long-term (12-year) work assignment. Good for you.

Why have you chosen to return?

Living with Mom and Dad in Japan will be nice financially, although I hope you at least offer to help pay for expenses. But, you must be aware that having lived in the USA so long, you will be seen in a different light by some Japanese employers, so much so that you may even have problems adjusting. They may not want you to bring with you "American ways" of doing business.

Ok, Jersey Boy, I have a little better idea of what your situation is.
You are Japanese who has been living in the USA on some sort of long-term (12-year) work assignment. Good for you.
Why have you chosen to return?
Living with Mom and Dad in Japan will be nice financially, although I hope you at least offer to help pay for expenses. But, you must be aware that having lived in the USA so long, you will be seen in a different light by some Japanese employers, so much so that you may even have problems adjusting. They may not want you to bring with you "American ways" of doing business.
Thanks for the post. Let me just say I am sufficiently proficient in both Japanese and American business cultures as I have been working with companies affiliated or rooted in Japan, USA, EU countries, South East Asia, and what not. So, in that regard I have not worried about one iota, actually. I am not one of those American cowboys in politics or business bossing around on the foreign soils.
I am not going to live in my folk's house on the long term basis. I am getting my own place in Tokyo or Osaka areas after the brief staging time at my folk's place. I've been on my own for so many years and I need to get my own space as soon as I know where my job is located.
I see you are an American. So, I am not going to post the particular reasons why I am ditching USA as, I am sure, it would tick off many people from America (which is not my intention).

Jersey Boy,
You can't offend me about the USA. Why are you hoping to return to Japan?
What did you do before you came to the USA?

The iteneray has been set and I have set up to-do-list which I need to tackle right away. I am fortunate to have an option to work for my current employer's branch in Japan (I requested the post where the actions are). I am very thrilled with this as this is a long-awaited home coming for me and my family. I am the only one who worked outside Japan among my relatives.
I have just liquidated my IRA and invesement accounts to cash. I have to do the same for 401 k.
Maybe someone has noticed. I have posted a thread on what gifts to give. Today, I eneded up buying things for myself than others. I have to get back there again to finshi the job.

JerseyBoy said:
I have just liquidated my IRA and invesement accounts to cash. I have to do the same for 401 k.
If I'm not mistaken, unless you are 59 1/2 yrs old you cannot just liquidate your IRA and 401K into cash without paying tax along with a 10 percent penalty. Maybe it is different for foreigners, but I'm sure you still have to pay the tax as it was put in without any tax taken out. The IRS is very strict about that. If I were you I'd check up on it before you leave so the IRS doesn't hunt you down. Penalties and interest add up pretty quick.

If I'm not mistaken, unless you are 59 1/2 yrs old you cannot just liquidate your IRA and 401K into cash without paying tax along with a 10 percent penalty. Maybe it is different for foreigners, but I'm sure you still have to pay the tax as it was put in without any tax taken out. The IRS is very strict about that. If I were you I'd check up on it before you leave so the IRS doesn't hunt you down. Penalties and interest add up pretty quick.
I think I am screwed with the current 401K. But, I was able to get my other IRA accounts without taxes so far. I am going to take a bite and get a 30% dediction from my current 401K (within this fiscal year) and get done with it. I am not concerned about IRS as I don't plan going back to USA. I did my time here for many years and it's time for me to see other countries.

Back
Top Bottom