What's new

Any chance for me?

Joshonovich

後輩
15 Aug 2007
Hello

Sorry to be so vauge about things but i'm really tired and have been putting this off for a long time, and will post in more detail about my situation tomorrow. I just wanted to ask these main things:

1. I am from the UK, speak English. I also have a GCSE german pass. Would it be possible for me to go to a university in Japan, without speaking any Japanese?

2. If so, would i only be learning Japanese, or are there schools in existence catering to the English?

3. What sort of costs would i be looking at?

Thanks.

Japanese Universities

Hi there,
Just a quick question. Are you doing A'levels? Most universities in Japan would require you to have these and JPLT level 2 or preferably 1. One university that I know of that teaches in English and Japanese is Okinawa International University but again they would require you to have the relevant qualifications.
okiu.ac.jp/eng/21-callege-of-global.html
What are you thinking about studying? You might be able to get into a local Tanki-daigaku, vocational school but with no Japanese you would have a very difficult time of it. All the courses would be held in Japanese and you really would need Jplt level 2/1 to make a go of it.
There are plenty of high schools, international schools in Tokyo that hold International Baccalaureate programs that would allow you to enter university at the end of them. They are two years usually and taught in English and Japanese. I would probably go this route if I were you. You could probably do a Japanese program and learn enough to get into a Japanese uni at the end of the course.
ibo.org/diploma/
Are your parents re-locating?
Hope this helps.
Lisa Nieboer
BeGlobal Language School

1. I am from the UK, speak English. I also have a GCSE german pass. Would it be possible for me to go to a university in Japan, without speaking any Japanese?
2. If so, would i only be learning Japanese, or are there schools in existence catering to the English?
If you mean university "located" in Japan, yes.

Examples: Sophia University (Faculty of Liberal Arts), Temple University Japan & International Christian University (entrance requirements vary, and courses taught in English--almost entirely for the first two and courses taught in Japanese included in third). Japanese language teaching for foreigners available.

3. What sort of costs would i be looking at?
Expensive, because they are all private.

Google these names, and you'll find further info.

Thanks for all the info. I was just wondering if, to help support myself, some sort of working holiday visa to support myself would be available, and indeed, would i even need one if had a student visa, yet wanted to a part time job? Thanks

I think that when you apply for a student visa they may require you to show some proof that you'll be financially self-sufficient with existing funds. They allow students to do some part-time work, but I don't believe it is for the purpose of them being able to work their way through college so much as it is to broaden their exposure to the country and the language.

What Mike says is right about student visas, the visa is issued for a prospective student who will study full time and can prove to have the financial resources to pay tuition and other expenses while studying. I guess it's the same all around the world, since the same requirements apply to Japanese students studying in the US or the UK.

If you can't satisfy these requirements, you still have the option of working holiday visa (assuming that you are a citizen of the UK or other countries described here):
Working Holiday in Japan

Please note that maximum stay with working holiday visa is one year, and the visa cannot be extended or reissued.

On the other hand, student visa is valid for 1 to 2 years and can be extended (provided that you prove enrollment and attendance at the school you've been admitted).

Thanks for all the help guys, i'm just adding up the expenses and such now, to further investigate how realistic it would be for me to do this. Could someone please estimate the cost of living for one person with little in the way of luxury for one month (excluding accommodation and such, i just mean food, hygiene, expenses such as that). Thankyou.

The pound is strong against the yen now, so you've a good starting point.

As in the UK, compared to accommodation, your other expenses are almost completely under your control. In general, if you stick to Japanese food, shops, bars etc you can live extremely cheaply. Perhaps you should set yourself a budget first and then work within it. As an example, it's possible to eat reasonably well on 1000yen a day, or you could blow that 1000yen on one pint of your favourite poison.

Back
Top Bottom