What's new

Afghanistan War !

Does anyone on this forum remember what happened in Afghanistan in 1979? For those of you who dont know what happened, the Russians invaded Afghanistan. The West complained like there was no tomorrow and relations with the Soviet Union, as it then still was, went decidely very cold. The Russians claimed that they had gone into Afghanistan upon the request of the Pro-Soviet Government of Afghanistan.
Over the next eight years there was what only can be described as guerilla warfare, that took place between the Soviet/Afghan forces and the Mujahideen.
The Mujahideen were made up of various political groups opposed to the Afghan government and the Soviet forces, and were armed by various Western countries and by some Middle Eastern countries and apparently secretly trained in certain aspects of warfare by the CIA. Eventually the Russian forces withdrew from Afghanistan in 1989 after some quite severe losses.

Afghanistan then went through a civil war, which some people say is still going on today. The Mujahideen started to fight against the new Republic of Afghanistan and its government army. In 1992 the Afghan capital Kabul fell into the hands of the Mujahideen. Inbetween 1992 and 1996 there was a lot of in-fighting between the various Mujahideen groups, which in 1996 led to a new armed movement being formed, with the backing of Pakistan, called the Taliban, which means student in Arabic.
In 1996 the Taliban, with the assistance of the Pakistan military and a group called Al-Qaeda, defeated the remaining Mujahideen militias and took over most of Afghanistan.
Then 9/11 happened and in 2001 NATO troops led by American and British forces invaded Afghanistan from the south in Operation Enduring Freedom. Eventually the Taliban were pushed out of power and some say out of Afghanistan, resulting in the installation of Hamid Karzai as President. Karzai is regarded by some as an American backed puppet, and after the recent elections held in the country, is also thought to be responsible for widespread vote rigging and corruption. As a result of this the Taliban are fighting back against not only American and British troops, but Karzai himself.
The fact that British and American troops are basically keeping Karzai in power is not a good thing. It is a war that the British public do not like, and there is a growing call for troops to be brought home.

That is what I wish to see happen in 2011.

It sounds like i made a mistake !
OK Sorry,of course this will lead to nothing but all what i wanted to say is US and Allies must leave Afghanistan and solve the main issue in the middle East.
Sorry again.

Your mistake isn't your opinion, it is the fact you aren't explaining your opinion in a sensible way. You keep going off on tangents about Israel that you never really explain (other than you don't like Israel cause of "history issues" or so) and how it is America/Israel/Insert country here's fault but you don't explain why or SHOW why it is their fault.

Explain your argument, explain your reasons, support your opinion. Random rants don't have any value.

It's possible I may agree with you on certain things, but I'm not sure what you are saying or why usually, so I can't agree or disagree with anything. I can only say "that doesn't make sense..."

Bible codes in Afghan army guns

American guns inscribed with Bible codes are being used by US forces and Afghans to fight the Taliban.

Al Jazeera has discovered that some Afghan soldiers are using guns engraved with coded biblical references.

The weapons come from Trijicon, a manufacturer based in Wixom, Michigan, that supplies the US military. The company's now deceased founder, Glyn Bandon, started the practice which continues today.

David Chater, Al Jazeera's correspondent in the Afghan capital Kabul, said: "It is a rallying cry for the Taliban. It gives them a propaganda tool.

"They've always tried to paint the US efforts in Afghanistan as a Christian campaign."

A Nato spokesman in Afghanistan has acknowledged that the practice is inappropriate but said that the guns will remain in use for now.

Nato reaction

Interviewed by Al Jazeera on Thursday, Colonel Gregory Breazile, of the Nato Training Command in Afghanistan, said: "We were told about it last night and when we looked into it, we noticed it was true.

"We started to take action and notify both the ministry of defence and our chain of command and they have all taken action so that we don't purchase any more of these sights.

"We gave the Afghan military these weapons. We are very disappointed, but it's a tiny little inscription and very hard to notice and I don't think it will be an issue in the field."

Breazile said: "We would have not bought these sights had we known they had these inscriptions on them."

Trijicon's offer

Trijicon, for its part, offered on Thursday voluntarily to stop putting biblical references on all products manufactured for the US military.

The company said it will provide, free of charge, 100 modification kits to the Pentagon to enable the removal of the references that are already on products that are currently deployed.

In a statement, Stephen Bindon, Trijicon's president and CEO, called the decision "both prudent and appropriate" and pledged to "move as quickly as possible to provide the modification kits for deployment overseas".

The inscriptions do not include actual text from the Bible but refer numerically to passages
Officials from Trijicon earlier said the US military had been a customer since 1995.

The inscriptions, which do not include actual text from the Bible, refer numerically to passages from the book.

The Advanced Combat Optical Gunsight rifle sights, used by New Zealand troops, carried references to Bible verses that appeared in raised lettering at the end of the sight stock number.

Markings included "JN8:12", a reference to John 8:12: "Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, 'I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life," according to the King James version of the Bible.

The Trijicon Reflex sight is stamped with 2COR4:6, a reference to part of the second letter of Paul to the Corinthians: "For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ," the King James version reads.

Tom Munson, Trijicon's sales director, said: "We don't publicise this. It's not something we make a big deal out of. But when asked, we say, 'Yes, it's there'."

US contracts

The US Marine Corps was said by ABC News, which broke the news of the inscriptions, to have a $660 million contract over multiple years with Trijicon to make 800,000 units of the product.

Trijicon has other contracts to supply the US amy with the sights.

The sights are used on weapons used during the training of Afghan and Iraqi soldiers under contracts with the US army and Marine Corps.

Some members of the Afghan army have been seen using the controversial weapons [AFP]
The Marines Corps have said that they will meet Trijicon managers to discuss future deals.

"If determined to be true, this is clearly inappropriate and we are looking into possible remedies," Commander Darryn James, a Pentagon spokesman, told the AFP news agency.

Meanwhile, the US-based Muslim Public Affairs Council (MPAC) has called on Robert Gates, the US defence secretary, to withdraw the equipment immediately from combat.

"Having biblical references on military equipment violates the basic ideals and values our country was founded upon," Haris Tarin, MPAC Washington director, said in a statement.

"Worse still, it provides propaganda ammo to extremists who claim there is a 'Crusader war against Islam' by the United States."

US military forces have repeatedly stated that their missions in Afghanistan and Iraq are secular and they have a ban on proselytising.

Source: Al Jazeera and agencies

The inscriptions were beyond inexcusable. I can't believe no one noticed that crap. They fuel the ability for the Taliban and others for propaganda purposes and it causes tension in a region that is already sensitive over religious problems.

The people responsible for these verses should be immediately fired and there should be an investigation.

I don't believe there is a religious purpose behind Iraq's occupation; however, I do believe there are some groups within the army that have their own agenda at times that is religious based. I don't think they are large groups though.

Just like you said Emoni...
In the time we need to stop religious wars they came with new provocations !
This will encrease AlQaeda and hundreds members will join them.
What the hell are they doing !!!
They will destroy what we did against the terrorists until now.

Despite being reported by al Jazeera, this story is actually true for the most part.

What we have here was a military contractor (Trijicon) who thought it could get away with a bit of Christian evangelism. The US military says it was unaware of these Biblical references, and that appears to be true. The reason Trijicon encoded these Biblical references as part of the rifle-scopes' serial numbers was to avoid detection and penalties under military contracting rules, which prohibit proselytizing. Otherwise, why didn't Trijicon just directly quote the Bible?

I've personally talked to several US troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, who have such rifles. They were completely unaware of these encoded Bible references (although some of them like and approve of them).

I believe that true Christians should be shocked at this perversion of their faith. By his believers, Jesus is referred to as the Prince of Peace. The idea that Jesus would endorse weapons used to kill other human beings should be considered blasphemous by real Christians.

But Why the US millitary won't be unaware ?
Where do they get their weapons ?? i cant belive this story,it's hard to belive it.
And Where are those True christians ?? I can see the shadow of Eljah702 here :D

US-led Nato troops have launched a long-expected attack on the biggest Taliban-held town in the south of the country.
Helicopter-borne US marines and Afghan troops backed by British forces swooped down on the Taliban-held town of Marjah in the centre of Helmand province early on Saturday.

Thousands of US and Afghan troops are taking part in the offensive, which seeks to undermine support for the Taliban and re-establish government control in the area.

The offensive, known as Operation Moshtarak, the Dari word for "together", is the biggest joint Afghan-international offensive of the war.

It is the largest combat operation since Barack Obama, the US president, ordered 30,000 US reinforcements to Afghanistan last December.

Danish, Estonian and Canadian troops are also involved in the campaign.

This is the real terrorism,See the democracy they are talking about.

Back
Top Bottom