What's new

Advice on travelling to Japan

Ryuk

スパ外国人
25 Dec 2007
I'm wanting to visit Japan once I finish my post-grad in November. I am thinking of going for 2-3 weeks (until my money runs out basically) and was wondering if December is a good time to visit (or would Spring be better?).

Also, I was thinking of starting in Tokyo and then travelling up the coast on one of those high speed trains and stopping off at different places to get a good feel for the country. These are just sketchy plans at the moment but any advice or information would be welcome 🙂

Also, how much money would you recommend taking for this length of time. At the moment I hope to have about £3000 to cover the whole holiday (at the moment flights will cost me £720 return to and from Tokyo).

Mid to late December will see an enormous rush at airports and train stations because of New Year break from schools, and because foreigners will be traveling, and because that's one of the few times the locals get time off.

As for money, figure on the equivalent of US$80-100 per day. Depends on what you are comfortable with as far as lodging is concerned.

Rather than mid-late decemeber I was thinking going around the 1st specifically to avoid the holiday rush (or at least the worst of it) and I want to be back home for christmas anyway. There is the possibility of going in January but one of my friends said Japan is really nice around December time.

December is nice and Kyoto good..

Around three years ago, this is only an example, you could get a Ryokan for around 4,000 YEN a night and that's in the city..

The very country areas would be cheaper.. You need to eat, etc. which can get costly...

Get yourself a Japan rail pass before leaving as it works out a lot chepaer..

Ask your home travel agent about it..

I would say allow $150 a night to be on the safe side and allow yourself an extra $50 in case you fall short for safety reasons..

or do what Glenski does and search YAHOO

Depends on what you're planning to see. Fall can be a wonderful time to see the colorful environment around parks.... But December-January can get really cold. If I remember correctly, Tokyo historically has its coldest weather on January. If you're looking for hanami, April would be the time, but it'll be right smack into the plans of many other tourists...which would probably lead to clogged airports and full bookings.

My personal fave is just around early November. Just in time to see the fall landscape, feel a tolerable coolness in the air and see Christmas preparations=)

Back
Top Bottom