What's new

Actress Akiko Wakabayashi

chief57

Registered
7 Oct 2002
with the anniversary of the bond films, my friends and I started a game of trivia. we each chose an actress who played a part in a film. According to te bond curse, they never performed again. Akiko Wakabayashi was my choice. Unfortunately I ca not findany info about her after 1967. Is se stillalive? Is she still performing in any theater? Married, children? Are the active in films? Is ther a way to contact her for more information? Let me know!

It's indeed quite hard to find information about her.
I could only find a small bio on "www.mi6.co.uk" which is the following:

"Akiko Wakabayashi was the star of numerous Japanese films in the early sixties. Her first film was Bandits on the Wind in 1961, followed that same year quickly by a starring role in the Italian film Akiko named after her. Numerous parts followed, including roles in the popular Godzilla movie series and an appearance in 1964's Dagora, the Space Monster. She started to make it as an international star with a part in the 1966 comedy What's Up, Tiger Lily? (in which she starred alongside Mie Hama) and it seemed that her career was beginning to take off. The next year, she was chosen to star in the much-hyped James Bond film You Only Live Twice and was caught up in the hysteria in her native Japan that dogged the movie's filming. However, her starring role also marked the end of her career, and it was the last film that she made."

But this is pretty much what you already knew. :eek:

You are correct ! That info is known. According to some people she was on the verge of doing bigger things. The Bond film, What's Up Tiger Lily? One writer stated that a possible problem occured after doing a photo shoot for Playboy magazine June/July 1967. I also received a reply that she isalive and had attended a Bond film function. I can't seem to find that and once again if anyone has moreinfo I would be very happy to hear from you!

I know Akiko Wakabayashi

I just arrived at this forum and saw the question about actress Akiko Wakabayashi.

She's very much alive and living in Tokyo. I had lunch with her there about a year and a half ago. She's a wonderful, friendly and thoughtful woman.

She was injured on the set of the film she was working on after You Only Live Twice. The injury was serious enough that she retired from films.

When I met with her she was healthy and cheerful. She's very happy to hear that she still has fans, and that people remember her and ask about her.

Since our lunch we've exchanged several letters. In fact, I got one from her just last week.

If anyone wants to see a recent photo of her that we took together, please e-mail me and I'll attach a jpg copy by reply. I'm at [email protected]

Regards,
James

Hi James, welcome aboard!

Thanks a lot for your interesting update. I've watched the movie recently, and I remember her climbing up a volcano just clad in a bikini. It is sad that she had to retire from her acting career.

Anyhow, in case it's not a private photo you could just attach it to a message here at the forum or upload it to our gallery.

Akiko Wakabayashi, Mie Hama, and You Only Live Twice

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the warm greeting.

I didn't realize I could post photos with a message or to a gallery. I've got my photos with Akiko-san on another computer, but I'll have access to them tonight or tomorrow. I'll find one I like.

Meanwhile, you can go to my website and see a photo of her.

Benson&Akiko.jpg

That's a long article, so scroll way down to the segment detailing "Friday, April 13th". The guy in most of the photos isn't me, because I'm the one taking the pictures. The guy is my buddy Raymond. I'm the blonde guy in one photo.

The actress you describe, in a bikini scaling the volcano in the Bond film, is Mie Hama, who played Kissy Suzuki. I visited with her, too. You'll see photos of her in the same article, under the section for Thursday, April 12.

James

James, that's an extraordinary website, thanks for sharing it with us! You are right, I confused Mie Hama and Akiko Wakabayashi. I really have to work on by Bond knowledge.

I'd feel very honoured if you posted some of your photos to our gallery.

Below a pic of Mie Hama, in the famous bikini (originating from an Alpine country I always wondered how she could climb the volcano in such attire, lol):

mie_hama.jpg

i greatly enjoyed the info shared in this thread.
thanks to mostly everyone (except the guy begging for people's email addresses)
peace

Does Akiko Wakabayashi have any fan club or agent?

I did see that James McMahon met with Akiko Wakabayashi in Tokyo. That was a very pleasant surprise, for I have been a big fan of hers for many, many years (even though the body of her work occurred before I was born in 1969). I did not know she was still alive, and finding out that she may still be was great news indeed.

I know that Mr. McMahon's travels in Japan and meeting with Wakabayashi-san happened years ago, but I was wondering whether she was still alive, and if so, is there any way to contact her (even through an agent or other representative)? I do not wish to intrude on her privacy or in any way impose upon her, but if she does have some sort of fan club or other contact information, I would love to make contact.

I hope this posting finds everyone well, and if anyone has any responsive information, it would be greatly appreciated.

Jon

I know Akiko Wakabayashi

I just arrived at this forum and saw the question about actress Akiko Wakabayashi.

She's very much alive and living in Tokyo. I had lunch with her there about a year and a half ago. She's a wonderful, friendly and thoughtful woman.

She was injured on the set of the film she was working on after You Only Live Twice. The injury was serious enough that she retired from films.

When I met with her she was healthy and cheerful. She's very happy to hear that she still has fans, and that people remember her and ask about her.

Since our lunch we've exchanged several letters. In fact, I got one from her just last week.

If anyone wants to see a recent photo of her that we took together, please e-mail me and I'll attach a jpg copy by reply. I'm at [email protected]

Regards,
James

Hello James. My name is Richard Parks (Publisher, RRParksCARDS). I tried emailing but since it has been nearly 20 years since this posting am guessing your email address has changed :) ... could you email me through my contact link? My website is RRParksCARDS.com

with the anniversary of the bond films, my friends and I started a game of trivia. we each chose an actress who played a part in a film. According to te bond curse, they never performed again. Akiko Wakabayashi was my choice. Unfortunately I ca not findany info about her after 1967. Is se stillalive? Is she still performing in any theater? Married, children? Are the active in films? Is ther a way to contact her for more information? Let me know!
Akiko Wakabayashi is still alive and turned 79 years old in August 2022. She is a retired actress and model who is best known for her roles in the James Bond film "You Only Live Twice" (1967) and the Japanese monster movie "King Kong Escapes" (1967).

After her acting career, Wakabayashi largely withdrew from the public eye, and there is little information available about her personal life. It is unclear whether she is married or has children.

As far as her recent activities, there is no indication that she is still active in the entertainment industry or involved in any theater productions. It is also not clear how to contact her for more information as she has largely kept a low profile in recent years.

I know Akiko Wakabayashi

Regards,
James
My name is Julius Smith. I am from NY and grew up loving James Bond films, but but till the day I die I will NEVER LOVE OR ADORE A WOMAN more than Akiko!!!!!!!!

It's indeed quite hard to find information about her.
I could only find a small bio on "www.mi6.co.uk" which is the following:

"Akiko Wakabayashi was the star of numerous Japanese films in the early sixties. Her first film was Bandits on the Wind in 1961, followed that same year quickly by a starring role in the Italian film Akiko named after her. Numerous parts followed, including roles in the popular Godzilla movie series and an appearance in 1964's Dagora, the Space Monster. She started to make it as an international star with a part in the 1966 comedy What's Up, Tiger Lily? (in which she starred alongside Mie Hama) and it seemed that her career was beginning to take off. The next year, she was chosen to star in the much-hyped James Bond film You Only Live Twice and was caught up in the hysteria in her native Japan that dogged the movie's filming. However, her starring role also marked the end of her career, and it was the last film that she made."

But this is pretty much what you already knew. :eek:
One of the most beautiful women of all time to me!

Attachments

• me red suit.png
    me red suit.png
    736.4 KB · Views: 31
Back
Top Bottom