What's new

Question About using "every day" in the past tense

hirashin

Sempai
Donor
8 Apr 2004
Dear native English speakers,
I'd like to know if "every day" can be used in the past sentence.

For example, do you ever say these?
(a) Did you run in the park every day last year?
(b) Did you come to this restaurant every day at that time?
(c) Did you go to the library every day when you were a college student?

Last edited:
Yes, it's fine. Here's a more real world example for (c). :)

Did you party every day when you were a college student?

By the way (b) I think your intention here is for "at that time" to mean そのとき but in English the meaning seems more like その時間. It might be better to say "in those days" or something like that. Or "Did you go to work every day at 6am?" is another example.

Thank you, mdchachi. It seems very hard for me to use the proper tense. English is always a puzzle to me.

Thank you, mdchachi. It seems very hard for me to use the proper tense. English is always a puzzle to me.
Well it is for Americans too. Most of us don't know what's actually correct. We just know the speech patterns that we learned.

Well it is for Americans too. Most of us don't know what's actually correct. We just know the speech patterns that we learned.
Oh? Is that because most of you haven't learned English grammar at school?

Oh? Is that because most of you haven't learned English grammar at school?
Of course we "learn" English in school. But I think many students don't care and don't properly learn. Also these days they can rely on computers to identify and fix major spelling and grammar problems. And even the ones that do learn well, they mostly don't remember grammatical phrases like "present progressive" etc.

Back
Top Bottom