What's new

2018 JET Programme

Amylg05

Registered
4 Mar 2017
Hello,

I was just wondering if there is anybody here who will be applying for the 2018 JET? I am going to be applying and thought it would be nice to meet others who are also going to be applying.

As well as this, are there any current or former JET applicants here? If there are, any tips on how to improve my application and any advice you think is useful, would be really very much appreciated! I want to do everything I can to improve my chances ^-^

Thank you :)

Having a positive attitude, a keen interest in Japanese culture and language, and having a willingness to get flung into deepest Japan (where you may be isolated for a time until you figure out the landscape) will all serve you well. Good luck!

Highlight any foreign travel/study/work experience you might have. One of the things they will be looking for will be people who will not freak out and run home after a couple months of culture shock. Also, teaching or tutoring experience looks good. I did some volunteer language tutoring with recent immigrants before I came to Japan. Did a bit of volunteer work with at-risk high school kids while I was in uni too. I think that helped me get selected. Doing some volunteer tutoring is a good way to see if you are cut out for teaching too.

Thank you very much! I have been lucky to have had the chance to travel a lot and have traveled on my own to America before but I haven't ever worked abroad. I have previous experience of mentoring / befriending children who were in care and I have just applied to be a volunteer at a local youth centre so hopefully these will help! I am also signed up to become a volunteer to teach English to people who don't speak English well! I have joined a Japanese Society and a Japanese language study group and I am self studying Japanese. I have worked for a local government for the last 9 years so I am hoping that will help too...I am just really worried as I have heard its extremely competitive! Thanks for your advice guys! :)

Back
Top Bottom