What's new

2006 employment situation for ryugakusei

epigene

相変わらず不束者です
10 Nov 2004
Yomiuri Shimbun published the following statistical data from the Immigration Bureau on foreign nationals who have completed studies (university level, etc.) in Japan and found employment here:

Year-on-year rise in ryugakusei employment in Japan: 40%

Number of students who have switched visa status from "ryugaku (study at university, etc.)" or "shugaku (study at vocational school, etc.)" to work visa in the areas of "humanities & international business," "technology," etc.: 8272 approved of 9034 applications received.

Number of approvals (switch from student to work visas) in the past: 5878 in 2005 & 5264 in 2004.

Breakdown by nationality: 90% Asian
6000 Chinese (up by 43.3%)
944 South Koreans (+26.4%)
200 Taiwanese (+19.0%)
119 Bangladeshi (+108.8%)
118 Malaysians (+71.0%)

Industries employing ryugakusei: 70% non-manufacturing
1792 in commerce/international trade
1140 in computer-related industries
479 in education

Types of jobs: Largest number in translation/interpreting (approx. 30%, or 2711 persons)
894 in IT
882 in sales & marketing
734 in overseas business operations

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/national/news/20070814it03.htm?from=top

Just for your information! 🙂

Last edited:
Thanks for the info epigene-san.
I hope I'll be also one of the statistic who made next in a few years :3
My 'shuushoku katsudou' will be starting soon too. *worries*

Tho I thought computer-related industry would be on top of the 'Industries employing ryugakusei'. Interesting.

What's 'commerce/international trade' anyway?

What's 'commerce/international trade' anyway?
It's one of those very vague categories that Japanese bureaucrats like to create... 😌

Well, commerce points to trade with endusers (B2C) and with other companies/business partners (B2B). International trade is the same thing on the worldwide scale. Because many Japanese businesses are operating on a global scale, they are hiring ryugakusei because they need people who have native-level understanding of the languages and cultures of the countries they do business with. Job offers come not only from big global corporations but also from smaller businesses engaged in export/import with other countries, especially those in Asia.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom