What's new

🤖 The Jaybot: on temporary leave

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
Some of you may have noticed that the Jaybot fell silent last weekend. I have literally spent hours debugging the issue and even had the developer take a look at its vitals, to no avail.

According to the dev, chatGPT has been dealing with issues for several days, both on their site and in the API.

We'll be working on its convalescence and hope to reanimate our AI friend shortly.

Thanks for your patience! 🤖

Is there any budget limit or is this supposed to be query-shi-houdai? It's actually not that cheap to run ChatGPT from what I've read and I was curious how the developer was able to fund this service.

Truth be told, the license holders pay the fees. However, it is relatively inexpensive:

Multiple models, each with different capabilities and price points. Prices are per 1,000 tokens. You can think of tokens as pieces of words, where 1,000 tokens is about 750 words. This paragraph is 35 tokens.

You start with a credit of USD 18.00, then pay USD 0.002 per 1,000 tokens. So far, we have used 39 cents of our credit.

And, in a neighboring country, it's a probable threat.

Fang Bingxing, considered the father of China's Great Firewall, has raised concerns over GPT-4, warning that it could lead to an "information cocoon" as the generative artificial intelligence (AI) service can provide answers to everything.

Fang said the rise of generative AI tools like ChatGPT, developed by Microsoft-backed OpenAI and now released as the more powerful ChatGPT-4 version, pose a big challenge to governments around the world, according to an interview published on Thursday by Red Star News, a media affiliate to state-backed Chengdu Economic Daily.
"People's perspectives can be manipulated as they seek all kinds of answers from AI," he was quoted as saying.

Fang, a computer scientist and former government official, is widely considered the chief designer of China's notorious internet censorship and surveillance system. He played a key role in creating and developing the Great Firewall, a sophisticated system of internet filters and blocks that allows the Chinese government to control what its citizens can access online.

The Great Firewall has been fortified over the past decade, blocking Chinese netizens' access to a wide range of foreign websites and online services including Facebook, Twitter and Google.
Many expected that China's heavily-censored internet would be a challenge for Chinese tech companies in developing a ChatGPT-like service because it is hard to predict and control answers.

China's powerful internet regulators have told Chinese tech companies not to offer ChatGPT access to the public, and they need to inform the authorities before launching their own ChatGPT-like services, according to a report by Nikkei Asia in February, citing sources.
After Microsoft revealed its formidable AI-powered office toolkit, the frenzy set off by ChatGPT continues in China despite obvious gaps between China's ChatGPT alternatives and their foreign peers.

Chinese search engine giant Baidu was first among local internet companies to roll out a ChatGPT-like service, calling it Ernie Bot, or Wenxin Yiyan in Chinese.

However, the debut of Ernie Bot on Thursday in Beijing was disappointing, sending its shares down 6.4 per cent for the day in Hong Kong. Baidu's shares shot up on Friday morning after investment banks including Citigroup gave bullish outlooks on the performance of Baidu's Ernie Bot in their reports, according to Bloomberg.

Fang also warned that when AI develops further, it could pose threats to humans. "Now it's simply software used in an online chat-like scenario. If it's incorporated into robots and cars, we need to stay vigilant for the potential harm they could do to humans."
Similar warnings are not in short supply in China. Zhou Hongyi, a Chinese billionaire and co-founder and CEO of the internet security company Qihoo 360, said in February that ChatGPT may become self-aware and threaten humans within 2 to 3 years.

Many scientists have discredited such a scenario in which AI turns against humanity.

Sure it seems cheap now but wait until you get up to a million queries per day!

OpenAI allows you to set up monthly caps ("soft limits" when they send out a notification and "hard limits," where your bot will cease to reply).

Update: we are currently using a debug version of the Jaybot. The developer discovered that Jaybot's hiccoughs are most likely related to an incompatibility with another add-on. Now we have to drill down and find out which one it is.

@mdchachi was its last known contact. He must have broken it. :LOL:
Maybe it wasn't my fault?

ChatGPT went offline and temporarily became inaccessible on Monday after some users discovered that they could see the titles of other people's chat histories...
An OpenAI spokesperson told Bloomberg that the company temporarily disabled ChatGPT after it became aware of these reports...
Based on the company's incident report, it shut down ChatGPT on Monday morning and then fully restored the service 10 hours later after rolling out a fix.

Of course not, just pulling your leg. Their servers seem overloaded: Jaybot's replies are noticeably slower, and their Dall-E graphics program is basically inaccessible.

Of course not, just pulling your leg. Their servers seem overloaded: Jaybot's replies are noticeably slower, and their Dall-E graphics program is basically inaccessible.
I know, I was just joking. But could the outage have been due to them shutting the service down?

I don't know how they balance chatGPT's load, but I assume some of their server clusters just went offline. I checked other pages using the add-on, and not all were affected. In our case, it could also have been a conflict with another add-on.

I don't know how they balance chatGPT's load, but I assume some of their server clusters just went offline. I checked other pages using the add-on, and not all were affected. In our case, it could also have been a conflict with another add-on.
According to the article they took down the service on purpose due to the bug that was found.

Back
Top Bottom