What's new

"~の" vs. "~こと"

Half-n-Half

先輩
17 Jul 2007
I was wondering what the difference between "~の" and "~こと" is. For example:

勉強するのは大変です。
勉強することは大変です。

to me both mean, "Studying is hard." Are both of these sentences correct? If so, what are the differences between the two? Is there some slight nuance I am not getting? Thank you!

In this case i think they are one and the same. "koto" sounds a little more formal than "no" i think.

I totally agree with kirakira-san.👍
The following thread might be somewhat helpful to the OP.

koto

Last edited:
Aha, I'm a little embarrassed there were already so many posts about it. I think I understand it a little better now, but it might just be one of those things I can only get comfortable with through practice. Thank you both!

Aha, I'm a little embarrassed there were already so many posts about it. I think I understand it a little better now, but it might just be one of those things I can only get comfortable with through practice. Thank you both!
Oh, it's no problem. Searching never hurts, but in this case there really were no such similar examples.

Although 勉強することは大変です。isn't used so much so try really hard to forget about it now. :p

Strictly speaking, 勉強することは大変です can have a nuance of "generally speaking," whereas 日本語を勉強するのは大変です tends to be used for particular things. The difference of formal vs. colloquial might be also form this point.

日本語を勉強することは(一般的に言って)大変です。
日本語を勉強するのは(僕にとって)大変です。

They are basically interchangeable, though.

They are basically interchangeable, though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom