What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

healer

Sempai
Reaction score
ですからわたしは知っています、不公正がどれほど簡単に普通のことになっていくかを。

I wonder what かを at the end of the above sentence mean and do in terms of grammar?

I’ve come across examples as follow. Both end with を like the one above. They are wishes for other people. Is there a verb after を that has been left out? I can’t compare these two examples with the sentence above.
フォースとともにあらんことを
よい結婚記念日を

What is あらんこと in the above sentence?

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
ですからわたしは知っています、不公正がどれほど簡単に普通のことになっていくかを。

I wonder what かを at the end of the above sentence mean and do in terms of grammar?
That's an inversion. The usual word order is;

わたしは、不公正がどれほど簡単に普通のことになっていくかを知っています.

I’ve come across examples as follow. Both end with を like the one above. They are wishes for other people.
Right, but it's not always for other people. It can be for us/me.

Is there a verb after を that has been left out?
Yes, for instance;

フォースとともにあらんことを祈る
よい結婚記念日をお過ごしください.

What is あらんこと in the above sentence?
ん is the euphonic change of a classical auxiliary verb む for guess or will. It's equivalent to フォースとともにあるように祈る or along the line.

healer

Sempai
Reaction score
ていくかを
so the か in the sentence just indicates that it is a question in a sentence, am I right?
And the ていくhere is an auxiliary verb for the time flow referring to the future of the reference point, isn't it?
Thanks!

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
so the か in the sentence just indicates that it is a question in a sentence, am I right?
"An interrogative(どれ in your example) + か at the end of the clause" works as a noun clause. As you can see in the examples below, it's not a question.

いつ彼が来た(を)知っている。
I know when he came.

彼の家がどこにある(を)知っている。
I know where his house is.

が社長(を)知っている。
I know who the CEO is.

彼がを探している(を)知っている。
I know what he is looking for.

なぜ彼が来なかった(を)知っている。
I know why he did not come.

彼がどう(やって)作った(を)知っている。
I know how he made it.

And the ていくhere is an auxiliary verb for the time flow referring to the future of the reference point, isn't it?
Right.

healer

Sempai
Reaction score
Thanks for your help! Toritoribe-san.

That's an inversion.
I have been told that words in a sentence of the Japanese language can be in any order as long as the main verb is right at the end. I don't know how true it is. I guess one would put the word where emphasis is intended to be right at the beginning. Is it the only possibility why inversion would have taken place in the example sentence?

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
Inversion is indeed used for emphasis, but it's not always put at the begining of the sentence. It's put on the object in your example.

healer

Sempai
Reaction score
Re: そしてイギリスを、恵まれたごく一部の人々にではなく、すべての人に益する国にしていくのです。
Which verb goes with the particle を in the sentence above?

Re: 日本で食べるうなぎのほとんどは、海でとった小さいうなぎを池で大きく育てたものです。
I’m not sure how を grammatically works in the above sentence? Does it go with 育てた?
Is ほとんど a noun?
Does the sentence mean the following?
"Almost all the eels eaten in Japan, those caught in the sea are small and those bred in the ponds are big."

zuotengdazuo

Sempai
Reaction score
Hi.
Re: そしてイギリスを、恵まれたごく一部の人々にではなく、すべての人に益する国にしていくのです。
Which verb goes with the particle を in the sentence above?
I think it’s にしていく that goes with the particle を (AをBにする=make A into B). I don’t quite understand the function of the ていく, though.😅

healer

Sempai
Reaction score
Thanks for your comment!

it’s にしていく that goes with the particle を
You have reminded me of something. The structure of the sentence having a comma after を, it is very likely that it is the main verb which is always at the end of the sentence that the main particle which is を goes with.

function of the ていく
As far as I know, the ていくis an auxiliary verb referring to a period of time from a reference point in the future.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
Re: 日本で食べるうなぎのほとんどは、海でとった小さいうなぎを池で大きく育てたものです。
I’m not sure how を grammatically works in the above sentence? Does it go with 育てた?
Is ほとんど a noun?
All yes.

Does the sentence mean the following?
"Almost all the eels eaten in Japan, those caught in the sea are small and those bred in the ponds are big."
No.
The core of the sentence is ほとんどは、うなぎを育てたものです。
Both 海でとった and 小さい modify うなぎ.
池で大きく育てた modifies もの.

Your translation means 海でとったうなぎは小さい and 池で育てたものは大きい. Can you see the difference?

The structure of the sentence having a comma after を, it is very likely that it is the main verb which is always at the end of the sentence that the main particle which is を goes with.
It's not "always at the end of the sentence". A comma after を often suggests that を is not associated with the verb that appears right after it (恵まれた in this case). In other words, a phrase or something like that is inserted before the verb where を is connected.
e.g.
イギリスを、恵まれたごく一部の人々にではなく、すべての人に益する国にしていき、みんなで幸せに暮らしたいのです。

As you can see, イギリスを is not the object of 暮らしたい which is the main verb put at the end of the sentence.

As far as I know, the ていくis an auxiliary verb referring to a period of time from a reference point in the future.
What do you mean by "referring to a period of time from a reference point in the future"?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom