What's new

Question は vs が vs も vs の: 90%

Zizka

Sempai
Donor
14 Apr 2016
So I was really happy with my last test, noticing quite an improvement. It could be due a couple of things, including that の as a particle is easy to figure out.
Just one question:
#28: (there's no context here, #27 being unrelated):
僕「が」テレビを見ているときに、[...]
I initially put は based on this explanation:
You can't use わたしが田中です as a self-introduction.
I thought you couldn't introduce with 「が」. I mean, I know it's a neutral there but I thought it couldn't be used with that. Help?
So that's it, just one question really.

は can't be used to indicate the subject in modifying clauses. That's the reason が is the correct answer there.

I don't understand what you mean by "modifying clause". I googled it but I found various definitions. Can you explain please.

modifying clause = attributive clause = adnominal clause = 連体修飾節
It's equivalent to "relative clause" in English. Do you remember the followings?

かいだんをのぼった modifies 先.
かいだんをのぼった先にある modifies トビラ.
かいだんをのぼった先にあるトビラの近くにはられている modifies 紙.

Learning Japanese through Translation | Page 3 | Japan Forum

Similarly, the clause 僕がテレビを見ている modifies とき there.

#1-2
Just for confirmation, is the given answer really が?

The followings are examples of "you are satisfied with your misunderstandings in this blog just because the answer is correct" also in the blog は Vs が Vs も Vs の

#6-2
#7-2
#8-2
#9-1, 2(especially 2)
#10-2, 3
(I didn't check all your answers/interpretations. The above is just from #1 to #10.)

This is the reason why I recommend posting the whole questions and answers in the forum, not just the ones you don't understand. You might get the correct answer accidentally by a wrong interpretation, or get a wrong interpretation to the given correct answer.

#1-2
Just for confirmation, is the given answer really が?
Both は & が are accepted in the answer key.
#6-2
#7-2
#8-2
#9-1, 2(especially 2)
#10-2, 3
You mean I got the right answer but the wrong interpretation for these ones?

Alright time to revisit this:
#6-2
#7-2
#8-2
#9-1, 2(especially 2)
#10-2, 3

(I didn't check all your answers/interpretations. The above is just from #1 to #10.)
#6: 君「は」何「」食べたい。
Original answer: (2) が: neutral/dynamic が.
② が: to express need, ability or opinion.
#7: 僕「は」ハンバーガー「が」食べたい。
#8: 飲み物「は」何「が」いい?
#9: 僕「は」のど「が」渇いたから、アイスティー「が」いいな。
Original Answer:
#9: (1) は: as topic marker in an affirmative sentence. (2) が: indicates the subject of a relative clause. (3) が: express desire, need, ability or opinion.
① は: "wa" as a topic marker in an affirmative sentence
② が: follows an interrogative pronoun.
*③ が: to express need, ability or opinion. I'd stick with that definition to be honest. What'd you say this one is wrong?
#10. わたし「の」父「」兄弟「が」二人います。
*Original answer:
(1) の: indicates the relationship between the two nouns. (2) は: as topic marker in an affirmative sentence. (3) が: Indicates the subject of the sentence when new, as-of-yet unknown information is being presented.
New Interpretation:
② I'd honestly stick with the topic of the affirmative sentence.
③ I'd say that's part of the usual は+が where the former introduces a topic and the latter gives information about what was introduced.
Ok, that covers it.

#9-2
There is no interrogative word there.
Notice that から is not a noun, unlike とき. This is a conjunctive particle to indicate the reason/cause of the main clause, i.e., 僕はのどが渇いた is not a relative(/modifying) clause.
cf.
彼がアイスティーを飲むとき、私はいつもコーヒーを飲む。
When he drinks iced tea, I always drink coffee.
(彼は can't be used here.)

彼はよくアイスティーを飲むから、私は氷を切らしたことがない。
Since he often drinks iced tea, I've never run out of ice.
(彼が has an exclusive nuance here.)

Incidentally, 彼はアイスティーを飲むとき、いつもストローを使う is correct since the subject of the main clause is also "he". The construction here is actually 彼は[アイスティーを飲むとき]、いつもストローを使う, i.e., only アイスティーを飲む modifies とき. In fact, it can be rephrased with アイスティーを飲むとき、彼はいつもストローを使う without changing the meaning at all. This is often called "は rules the whole sentence".

The rest are all OK:emoji_thumbsup:, including #9-3 and #10-2 (yes, your initial interpretations can be correct).

僕「は」のど「が」渇いたから、アイスティー「が」いいな。
Isn't 「のど」an interrogative pronoun? According to my dictionary, it is:
upload_2018-7-16_21-8-15.png

どの
which

のど
throat

どの (or この, その and あの) is an attributive demonstrative, thus, it's always followed by a noun, and never attached to a particle directly.

Back
Top Bottom