What's new

に vs. で

nalo6451

Kouhai
19 Feb 2017
Hi guys.

So I'm just wondering if I could get some clarification on something. To say "Please write your name here" one would say "ここになまえをかいてください".

If I want to say "I am writing my name here" would this be "ここでなまえをかいています"?

Thanks.

It differs depending on what you mean by "here". When it indicates the location you are doing the action "writing" (e.g. in a room), で is used, and when it refers to the object/place you are writing your name on (e.g. on a document), に is the one.
In the same logic, your first example sentence should be ここなまえをかいてください when the speaker means the location of action (e.g. in this room) by "here".

It differs depending on what you mean by "here". When it indicates the location you are doing the action "writing" (e.g. in a room), で is used, and when it refers to the object/place you are writing your name on (e.g. on a document), に is the one.
In the same logic, your first example sentence should be ここなまえをかいてください when the speaker means the location of action (e.g. in this room) by "here".

Thanks toritoribe. I think it was the tense that confused me here.

So when you are describing a location at which a verb occurs (whether it is past, present, or future) you use で, but when you are describing a location/object at which a verb is directed (past, present, or future) you use に?

For example:
"I wrote my name here (on the piece of paper)" would be "ここになまえをかきました" and,
"I wrote my name here (while sitting in this seat)" would be "ここでなまえをかきました".

Last edited:
Exactly. The choice of the particle is not affected by the tense.
e.g.
公園でベンチに座りました。
I sat on a bench in the park.

明日郵便局で彼女に手紙を送ります。
Tomorrow, I will send a letter to her at the post office.

彼は今、教室で先生に話しています。
He is talking to his teacher in the classroom now.

Back
Top Bottom