What's new

Where to go?

come on,$1100 for an air ticket to tokyo is not at all expensive....even from Oita, it is almost the same.
as long as you decide to come to japan, you have to prepare yourself for a big amount of money, for the particular high price here....
hoo.......

Thanks budd, yeah I figure you stay a good bit in airport transit, etc.. Room size isnt an issue as I dont think ill be spending much time asleep. Anyone have any ideas of what to do around there? I want to sight see during the day time, and experience night life at night. So maps, and info on some places to go could help :)

shumi wa?

it depends
but check out this site -- roughguides.com
a guy i met at hotel new azuma had one of these and he wanted to go all around to each -- WITH ME guiding and translating
i was like ehh
but i have to admit, i did see some parts of tokyo i never would have on my own
i went to the observatory in shinjuku... to shinjuku park... some okay pics, plus i got through in enough time to meet ol girl in ueno
rough guides
http://www.roughguides.com/store/details.html?ProductID=105
phrasebook
http://www.roughguides.com/store/details.html?ProductID=122
especially check out the journals, tokyo has 53 to choose from
better get started :)
http://travel.roughguides.com/planning/journalCountry.asp?locationID=200

Would Barnes and Nobles have this book? I might be going to invest in some of them if so..

Do They Still Do It ???

When I was there, every place you walked into offered wooden matches in a little box. On the back was a tiny map & info of how to get there. I would grab one at each place then just hand them to the taxi drivers and say take me there. It was a great system. When I came home , I must have had over 500 boxes.

Frank

:?

Hiro~~~ said:
come on,$1100 for an air ticket to tokyo is not at all expensive....even from Oita, it is almost the same.
as long as you decide to come to japan, you have to prepare yourself for a big amount of money, for the particular high price here....
hoo.......

Well, everytime I go back to Europe from Tokyo, I pay about 50.000yen, which at current rate is about 385 euro (remember that the US$ used to be stronger than the euro).

Yeah, if we get the democratic president the US$ will rise over every currency once again but since we have such low interest rates right now the US$ has fallen.

playaa said:
Ok, I can't decide where I should go. I have $6,500.00 to go anywhere in the world between May 16 - June 1st but don't know where to go. I made plans for Tokyo and it seemed to cost about 1100$ for flight and hotel. Anyone got any other ideas? 😌

Is that $1100 for BOTH airfare and hote for 2 weeks? That ain't bad at all for going to Japan. I stayed at a hotel that had 6,000 Yen rooms (about $58), and there was a Denny's close by. I was there for 10 days and spent less than $100 a day (other than hotel).

You could go to Osaka and stay at the same place where I stayed. And meet Mad Pierrot on his day off, or you can go meet him because he lives near a hot spring (onsen) resort. Ancient cities of Nara and Kyoto are close by, and the temples in Kouya Mountain is a famous attraction.

If you'd consider Osaka let moi know and I'll make more suggestions.

Over and out.

Would it be to much time to go to Osaka, from Tokyo.. for a day or 2? I would be paying for my hotel in Tokyo during this time but I guess it wouldnt be too expensive to spend a night in Osaka, and use the Shinkansen?

If you take the Shinkansen it's about 3 hours from Tokyo to Osaka, but you're going from downtown to downtown. If you fly, the flight is about an hour but you have to get yourself to the airport in Tokyo from your hotel, then take a train, bus or cab from the airport in Osaka to your hotel. Besides, the Shinkansen is way more fun.

So, if you start early in the morning, you could still get to Osaka before noon and have a full day of sightseeing. Stay overnight in a cheap hotel, and do more sightseeing the next day. Then take a Shinkansen back to TKO at night. If you're too tired to go back to Tokyo, stay another day.

Sounds like a plan eh?

P.S. The hotel where I stayed is Hotel Nankai

http://www.hotel-nankai.co.jp/eng/

I stayed at their Sakai branch.

If you stay at their Namba branch you'd be right by the Kintetsu Railroad Station which will take you to Nara. Or the Nankai trains that go to Wakayama (where Mad Pierrot is) or to the Kouya Mountain Temples.

If you stay at a hotel closer to Osaka or Shin-Osaka station, you'd be closer to Hankyuu or Keihan trains that go to Kyoto.

Let moi know if you have more Qs

over and out

playaa said:
Would it be to much time to go to Osaka, from Tokyo.. for a day or 2? I would be paying for my hotel in Tokyo during this time but I guess it wouldnt be too expensive to spend a night in Osaka, and use the Shinkansen?

I personally think that the shinkansen price between Tokyo and Osaka is overpriced (13.000yen one-way at best). The night bus cost only 4500 yen and you save one night accomodation. I don't know what you are interested in, but I would recomend Kyoto rather than Osaka, because Osaka is just like Tokyo (except the castle and the people). Kyoto has much more interesting touristical attractions (temples, palaces, gardens, geisha, festivals...) :genji:

Btw, the "shinkansen" (actually Eurostar) betwen Paris and London takes about 2h, so you can easily go from one city to the other, in case you follow my previous advice.

Hm, Sounds interesting great suggestions and I think I am definately gonna take this option, as I will be there for 2 weeks.. Maybe the monday of the second week I will do like monday/tuesday and come back wednesday to osaka or kyoto...

So maybe even a capsule hotel something for around 2500yen like new koyo i could stay in, or a youth hostel. Take the night bus sunday night arrive monday in osaka or kyoto and just take the shinkansen home to tokyo...

How does that sound? Please adjust and edit.. or add things I should look into.. :)

ALSO I picked up those 2 books suggested by budd last night and 2 others... I now own these..

THE ROUGH GUIDE TO: Tokyo Second Edition
A ROUGH GUIDE Japanese Phrasebook
Easy Japanese: A Guide to Spoken and Written Japanese

And last.. Survival Japanese: How To Communicate without Fuss or Fear - Instantly!
This one is a little pocket phrase book.

I also have printed out and made a booklet of all of the Journals written from the link budd sent.. They had some interesting information on sights.. I am amazed at all of the free stuff to do in the day 🎈

The city of Nara, just east of Osaka, is nice, with Buddhist temples, giant statue of Buddha, and the deers roaming freely in the middle of the city. You can even buy "Shika Sembei" or deer biscuits and feed them. Some unsuspecting foreignors have been known to eat one themselves! I paid 6,000 Yen for the room in Sakai, so the cheapest hotel might go for 10,000 in the middle of Osaka.

if i would be you, i would spend ALL the money in Japan and bring a ton of stuff back home. No need to see anything else than Japan, 'cause it's the best country there is (haven't been there though).

or then save to a tripp next year...

there are a lot of books on tokyo/japan -- i just liked that one in particular (will probaby buy it myself)
frommers
fodors, etc

I think you should really go to Hiroshima, one of the most vibrant city of Japan. It's such a nice city! definitely one of my favourite place in Japan. I prefer Hiroshima than Kyoto, that's for sure...

aaaahhh Miya Jima!

Back
Top Bottom