What's new

What is the meaning of ことなん?

seasurfer

先輩
14 Nov 2003
明日のスポーツ大会のことなんですが、雨が降った時はどうしますか。

Can someone kindly explain to me the meaning and usage of ことなん. Thanks in advance.

By the way, what is the meaning of the first が in this sentence?

seasurfer said:
明日のスポーツ大会のことなんですが、雨が降った時はどうしますか。

Can someone kindly explain to me the meaning and usage of ことなん. Thanks in advance.

That's actually two words: "koto" and "nan [desu ga]."
I think the sentence basically means "Concerning the sports meeting tomorrow, what should we do when it rains?"
Here, "koto" is used to turn the preceding phrase into a noun. "nan desu" is attached in order to mark the sentence as an explanation.

By the way, what is the meaning of the first が in this sentence?

Here, "ga" is used to mark "明日のスポーツ大会のことなんです" as an introductory clause. "雨が降った時はどうしますか" is the main clause.

Carabas said:
That's actually two words: "koto" and "nan [desu ga]."
I think the sentence basically means "Concerning the sports meeting tomorrow, what should we do when it rains?"
Here, "koto" is used to turn the preceding phrase into a noun. "nan desu" is attached in order to mark the sentence as an explanation.
Although in this case the preceding phrase is already a noun -- the closest English may come is "about tomorrow's sports taikai...." "nan" is a contraction of "na no," which is added depending on the situation for questions, emotional interjections, politeness....maybe someone else can explain it better. :insert smiley:

At any rate, there must be a fairly high degree of certainty it will rain. Generally instead of 時 you see 場合 for these sorts of textbook cases -- in the case that it rains, what should I do?

Thanks for the explaination.

However, I am sorry to say that I still don't understand the meaning of "nan" in this sentence. Can someone kindly explain it in a very simple way. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom