What's new

What does everyone think of temple U?

KokujinXX

後輩
18 Feb 2007
This is a foreign school on Japanese school, I am thinking of transfering to this school, any opinions/advice?
tuj.ac.jp/

A lot of the students I've spoken to like it because they're in Japan, but have always told me that it's not challenging - at all. I remember one of them telling me that, if I want to learn, don't come. If I just want to have fun in the heart of Tokyo, then it's the perfect place for me.

It depends on what you want from there, I guess.

Japanese Universities are not known for being challenging. They have ridiculously low standards for passing, and often students will be passed just to keep the schools record clean.

Well, after getting off the phone with a rep there, I don't think I can even get accepted. Oh well.

Japanese Universities are not known for being challenging. They have ridiculously low standards for passing, and often students will be passed just to keep the schools record clean.

Well, Temple U is an American university in Japan. I don't really know if all American universities in Japan are like that. I kind of assumed that for the most part they would be pretty tough, especially on Japanese who go in looking to learn English.

Japanese universities, though? Yeah, I heard there are a handful of good universities - Tokyo University included, of course. But the rest are supposedly crap. It's kind of strange to me that they would put such an emphasis on surviving high school with passing grades, not shaming the family and yourself by passing the entrance exams... and all of that for a not-so-great Japanese university life. o_O

It's all about status and appearances. What's important to the Japanese is that they get into a prestigious college, not that they actually learn anything while they're there.

Japanese universities, though? Yeah, I heard there are a handful of good universities - Tokyo University included, of course. But the rest are supposedly crap. It's kind of strange to me that they would put such an emphasis on surviving high school with passing grades, not shaming the family and yourself by passing the entrance exams... and all of that for a not-so-great Japanese university life. o_O

I know a few people at Tokyo, Waseda and one nutter who went to Kyoto, and they all do nothing - classes maybe a few days a week, half days, little work or stress. On the other hand I know dozens of medical students at places like Tokyo Womens Medical who work their butt off, 5 days a week, 9-5 with lessons, lectures and practical hands-on nursing and.

It's all about status and appearances. What's important to the Japanese is that they get into a prestigious college, not that they actually learn anything while they're there.

Which in the end is the truth. Its not what you did, what score you got, but where you went. I have a bit of fun in interviews by name dropping - I spent some time at Kaisei (ナ?Jツ青ャ) while on exchange and its considered the top school in Japan. I've been to Tokyo U a few times and its not that great - facilities and equipment that is old and when was the last time you heard of research from a Japanese University being in the news? (Note - name dropping does not count here - ie. "A graduate of XXX university" etc).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom