What's new

What do you think?

domei

後輩
1 Jan 2008
Well my life is currently a sort of mess for some personal reasons but i have decided about a big thing in my life, its to drop out of school, currently i am 16 and that means this year ill be in yr 11 High school or 2nd year of senior high school.
Well ill get to the point but because of this issue i want to go study in Japan for 1 year and get away from the life i live in Australia. i am half Japanese and i would say that my Japanese is alright, i can speak fine but i can tread kanji, pathetic i know =( I have been to Japan before several times during my life, around 3 -4 time in primary school for a period of at least a minimum of 2 weeks to 4 months and in junior high school 2 times for around 1 month.
I have a place to stay for 1 year the only thing restricting me now is whether a school will accept me or not. i have a couple of schools that i will try to apply for (private and public) once the holidays are over but i wonder would anyone know the chance of me getting into a senior high school in Japan. Ill most probably be going as an exchange student sort of deal so people will treat me like i am incapable of speaking Japanese but that is perfectly fine with me ^^
Looking forward to any help.
P.S. i have thought of the actual exchange program but after looking at it i will have to wait for another year and i don't think i got that much patience, also they kinda restricts you to your "adventures" while in Japan :)

Hi, welcome to JRef.

My advice would be NOT to drop school. You can go study in japan AFTER finishing it.

hahaha thanks for u opinion but its just 1 year and i will finish school when i come back.

Did you check for example if Australia don't have an special agreement with Japan concerning education? Maybe there is no need to drop school to go studding in Japan. I think the best way is to check the Japanese Embassy from your country.

I know that some countries especially from Pacific-Asia area have more agreements than usually. Unfortunately I think the easiest way is actually to graduate in your country than go in Japan.

I have a site called inter cultural programs in Australia and there are some scholarships and possibilities to go study a year in Japan if you are an Australian high school student. look for AFS Japan scholarships with google. I can't give direct links on the site.
Also I think that may be a bonus the fact you speak Japanese well.

patience is a virtue. Dropping out of school will certainly not help your chances of getting into one in Japan. If you want to put your education on hold to schlep around Japan for a while that's your prerogative, but don't put yourself under any illusion that you'll be furthering your education (except maybe your language skills).

Hi, welcome to JRef.

My advice would be NOT to drop school. You can go study in japan AFTER finishing it.
Yeah sometimes I wish I could just get the hell outta dodge and go on with my dream. But I guess I do have to wait. OH! I hate it!

Yes, i understand the risks i am taking by putting my education to a halt but, i am just wondering whether i could experience "Japanese school life" if i don't go now. Just a reminder that i will continue my education and that in Australia it is optional to continue to yr 11 and 12 i talked to my careers adviser and she said that the program that i have chosen to attend when i return is exactly the same as if i continued school. The way i look at it is a long holiday with school included + visiting family and stuff, further search my roots and such so to speak. So in conclusion its just a 1 year gap and i WILL continue my education further when i return to Australia.

Sounds like you are talking yourself into making decision that you know is a poor one. I always think I'll walk that extra mile if I eat that candy bar! It never happens. Finish school first...Japan will be there when you're done.

I do not know exactly if its a poor one i now that i will most probably not learn anything other then language during my time there if i go. But is to all those who have completed school and such is 1 year of a gap really much of a difference cause i now many people that take a year off after completing school to go on holidays around the world. But as for me when i complete school i have to attend a compulsory army training in Singapore for 2 years. So if i take this break ill be back at school after 1 year, so its not as if i am throwing away my education because i WILL be returning to school after to complete yr 11 and 12.

i dont get that candy bar thing is it possible if you can put it in another context

Back
Top Bottom