What's new

Question Use of 愛好者

Annick

後輩
4 Aug 2015
Hi, can we use 愛好者 with a person? For example: "author/actor name" 愛好者 and if so, does it need the particle の ?
I'm not familiar with that word, I usually see "のファン" with people names and 愛好者 with things.

Thank you.

No, we can't. 愛好者 is mostly for activities, hobbies and certain "things" that actually imply a hobby/activity. Like ワイン愛好者 or 山野草愛好者. の is acceptable, you can say ワインの愛好者 although it is less common

"愛好家(aikouka)" may be more common than "愛好者(aikousha)".
If you are interested in the difference between "者(person)" and "家(house)", I will explain....:geek:

The author's fans are "愛読者(aidokusha)".
The actor's fan thing is generally "ファン", In the old language "贔 屓(hiki)".

贔屓の力士
贔屓の芸者

"愛好家(aikouka)" may be more common than "愛好者(aikousha)".
If you are interested in the difference between "者(person)" and "家(house)", I will explain....:geek:

The author's fans are "愛読者(aidokusha)".
The actor's fan thing is generally "ファン", In the old language "贔 屓(hiki)".

贔屓の力士
贔屓の芸者

So if we want to say fans of a certain author, do we say: (名前)の愛読者 ?
Ex:
村上の愛読者
村上春樹の愛読者, 村上龍の愛読者
Is it better to use honorifics?
村上さんの愛読者
村上氏の愛読者
村上先生の愛読者? Can we use 先生 for an author too?

"If you are interested in the difference between "者(person)" and "家(house)", I will explain...."

Yes I'm interested, what is the difference between "愛好者" and "愛好家", please?

Difference between "者(シャ)" and "家(カ)" and "員(イン)".
I referred to this site.
The word "者(シャ)" means "「〜である人」person who is".
For example, "初心者(shoshinsha)beginner" means "a person who has just started something".
成功者、技術者、偽善者、経営者、使者・仁者・知者・王者・役者・医者・儒者・学者・筆者・勝者・間者(かんじゃ)・行者(ぎょうじゃ)・有力者・第三者

"家(カ)" has the meaning of "person who excels in something" and mainly uses it for people who have something in their profession.
"写真家" means "photographer" and means "person" who also takes on the profession of taking pictures.
Other , people with such a tendency. A person in such a state.
For example,倹約家、健啖家、厭世家、楽天家、愛妻家、努力家

"員 (イン)" means a member who belongs to a group.
For example,駅員、会員、議員、教員、船員、店員
"員(イン)" also has the meaning of saying "one who plays a role".
For example,警備員、審査員、配達員、販売員、相談員

There are other "手(シュ)" as well.
Someone who has a certain job.
For example,運転手、歌手、選手、助手、旗手、旗手

There are also "師" and "士."
"師" =>教師、恩師、牧師
医師、絵師、技師、猟師、漁師
"士" =>学士、棋士、修士、博士、弁士
管理士

Just stick with ファン. Its easier to understand and less pretentious. I think its OK to omit the honorifics for a famous person. (You can use them, if you like, but it sounds a bit too fawning for me.) Use them if you think the omission would cause injury or insult to the person you are speaking with.

Just stick with ファン. Its easier to understand and less pretentious. I think its OK to omit the honorifics for a famous person. (You can use them, if you like, but it sounds a bit too fawning for me.) Use them if you think the omission would cause injury or insult to the person you are speaking with.

It's what I thought too, ファン is more common. It's something I saw printed on bags of a fan club and I thought it sounded a bit off, but I've been told it was written by some Japanese person (or more likely someone of Japanese ancestry). I guess it's better to keep the honorifics if you are talking to the famous person himself?

Difference between "者(シャ)" and "家(カ)" and "員(イン)".
I referred to this site.
The word "者(シャ)" means "「〜である人」person who is".
For example, "初心者(shoshinsha)beginner" means "a person who has just started something".
成功者、技術者、偽善者、経営者、使者・仁者・知者・王者・役者・医者・儒者・学者・筆者・勝者・間者(かんじゃ)・行者(ぎょうじゃ)・有力者・第三者

"家(カ)" has the meaning of "person who excels in something" and mainly uses it for people who have something in their profession.
"写真家" means "photographer" and means "person" who also takes on the profession of taking pictures.
Other , people with such a tendency. A person in such a state.
For example,倹約家、健啖家、厭世家、楽天家、愛妻家、努力家

"員 (イン)" means a member who belongs to a group.
For example,駅員、会員、議員、教員、船員、店員
"員(イン)" also has the meaning of saying "one who plays a role".
For example,警備員、審査員、配達員、販売員、相談員

There are other "手(シュ)" as well.
Someone who has a certain job.
For example,運転手、歌手、選手、助手、旗手、旗手

There are also "師" and "士."
"師" =>教師、恩師、牧師
医師、絵師、技師、猟師、漁師
"士" =>学士、棋士、修士、博士、弁士
管理士

Thank you for the detailed explanation!

I guess it's better to keep the honorifics if you are talking to the famous person himself?
Yes, that's right. Or rather, it's more likely "it's necessary " rather than "it's better". Majestic-san is talking about a situation when you are talking with a famous person's fan. He/She might feel unpleasant when hearing ○○(の)ファン without the honorifics. This is also applied even to dogs in recent days. Some dog owners don't like that people call their dogs 犬, for instance 可愛い犬ですね, so instead, ワンちゃん is often preferred.

Back
Top Bottom