What's new

Top 3 jmusic releases of 2005?

pinkkillerkisou

Angelic Fruitcake
9 Feb 2005
Ok... this is a thread I thought about making several months back :? I've been dying to make it since, but I knew there were still some bands releasing stuff later in the year so in all fairness I waited despite how anxious I was... :D I thought it was good because I know what I think was best, but I'm curious what others think.

Alright... I don't think I need to explain... I think it's quite simply stated in the title. Which 3 jmusic releases did you think were the best releases of the year? Explanations are nice too!

My picks:

#1 - D'espairsRay - [Coll:Set] (limited edition)

Ok... this release was highly anticipated. Not just by me but by jrock fans everywhere. D'espairsRay first full legnth album. I picked the limited edition version because Garnet and Fuyuu Shita Risou were already released songs plus the limited edition looks attractive. It comes in a clothbound case and comes with a photobook thingy and poster. Either release regular or limited are astounding... I just own the limited edition so I picked that one as my choice... understandable right. ^^; The quality of this album is amazing... it sounds so pristine and polished... it is really noticable how well it was recorded. I couldn't say that there are tracks that stand out above the rest because they are all so good, but that doesn't mean I don't have a favorite track. "Forbidden" happens to be my favorite track. It's simply mesmerizing and compels you to sacrafice yourself to the band. For being so highly anticipated this album certainly did not disappoint... not one bit... that's why it's my first pick.

#2 - Rentrer en Soi - Astre no Ito and Kein no Hitsugi

Shh... I know that's 2 releases but they are a pair. 😊 :D I couldn't pick one over the other... they are meant to be together... I don't know how there could be one without the other. These are THE best mini-albums my ears have ever had the pleasure of listening to. They are simply gorgeous. I am nearly in tears just thinking about them and how beautiful they are... :( Rentrer en Soi has a special place in my heart and I get emotional every time I get my hands on something new... even if it's just pictures. This is the only jrock band I have found entirely on my own. Everyother band I have been told about or heard their name somewhere or seen pictures in magazines or someone put their music up on a mp3 rotation... you get the idea right... that's not entirely found by yourself. I found Rentrer en Soi by complete accident. I was searching for something completely unrelated and a fansite showed up in my search list... I was curious what it was and clicked the link and it turned out to be a jrock band and a damn good one at that. Ever since I have been under their spell... they never fail to make me feel better no matter how bad I feel. Whoops... forgot what I was talking about 😊 Anyway... the mini-albums. 😌 Ok, if you just listen to them you'll understand what I mean by a pair. The first track on each is an extended version of the last track on the other... which is brilliant I might add... it's clever and I never would have thought of that... I just adore mini-albums for the way they are put together... an intro track and in the case of Astre no Ito and Kein no Hitsugi an outro track. These mini-albums have a few old tracks that may be familiar to ReS fans... they've just been remade and in my opinion are so much better. I think it may have to do with the fact that these mini-albums like [Coll:Set] having amazingly clear quality which makes listening so much more enjoyable not to mention easier. They are just so beautiful I can't describe with words how lovely they are... I'm sure the fact that they are so special to me has a little something to do with why I picked them but I'm not blinded by love for ReS that I can't see that there is some other release that deserves to take the #2 spot... these mini-albums are fantastic! That simple... I wouldn't have to be a hardcore ReS fan to know their awesomenessisity! As for favorite track... it changes everyday. I'm currently really stuck on Sefiroto and Taiyou no Todokanai Basho from Kein... but don't think I love it more than Astre... just two days ago I listened to Haikyo to Kashita Hakoniwa from Astre at least 20 times in a row and had it stuck in my head all day... :D

#3 Rentrer en Soi - Sphire-Croid

I had a hard time picking my third pick. I want to pick Rentrer en Soi's Mizu yume miru chouchou or Gazette's Cassis and Dir en grey's Withering to Death too :( ...but after much thinking and listening I think that Sphire-Croid is better then them all :sorry: I'm really not being partial to ReS... they had an incredible year filled with great releases. Sphire-Croid in January, Zenkeshiki kusari Hateru Ima,Yuiiti... in February. Mizu yume miru chouchou in May, Astre no Ito and Kein no Hitsugi in August. I didn't pick Withering to Death because I think Dir en grey didn't use their guitarists and bassist to their full potential on this album. Please don't flame me... I just find the quality and variety of Sphire-Croid much more appealing than Withering to Death not to mention more pleasing to the ears. I didn't pick Cassis because as much as like the songs from Cassis they don't stick with me as much as the songs from Sphire-Croid. Cassis [B-type] has variety. I praise Gazette for not sticking to any genre of music and instead trying many and with their own twist, but it still doesn't appeal to me as much as Sphire-Croid did. I guess it's more of a mood thing too. I can always be in a Rentrer en Soi mood or a Dir en grey mood or D'espairsRay mood... I'm not always in a Gazette mood. :sick: Why didn't I think to pick Zenkeshiki kusari Hateru Ima, Yuiiti...? Well it's a single with one song. Even if it is one of my favorite songs, not just of Rentrer en Soi, but any band Japanese or not. I really love this song, but it didn't feel right picking it over another release. I had a hard time picking between Mizu yume miru chouchou and Sphire-Croid. I love every song from both. Really love... not just like the songs. I practically worship them. 😌 :D In the end I picked Sphire-Croid because I think I love it a little more than Mizu yume miru chouchou. I can't even pick a favorite song. They are all so good. If I had to try I'd say taikyou naru yousui yuugi, wither, Last Word 「」, and iconoclasm. But I still love every track... it hurts to pick... :( :D

Funny how my last pick has the longest explanation for why? :? if you exclude half of my explanation in the 2nd pick cause of off topic rambling/gushing :D It's only cause I explained why other releases didn't make the list that made the 3rd one longest... XD

I wonder how many people actually will read all this... and how long before this thread goes off-topic and fangirly :D

Oh... and I own each of my picks (Sphire-Croid should be arriving any day... stupid postman... such a slacker... I'll be sure he gets a proper beating :eek: :D) and you should own the ones you pick too. If you appreciate them you'd support them... owning cds is cool kids! XD

top of 2005 for me is Withering to death - Dir en grey (love all songs)
second is Awake - L'Arc~en~Ciel (love all songs too except i didn't listen to twinkle or ophelia as much as all the others)
third..it's hard to specify one..there are many albums & singles that i like but for me, there are hits and misses in them.. i think it would be Janne Da Arc - gekkouka single,and and..so many more i don't know how to choose:(

For me:
1. D'espairsRay - [Coll:set]
2. L'Arc~en~Ciel - Awake
3. Dir en grey - Withering to Death

It's funny because I own (or soon will) 2 copies of all three of these albums. With D'espa, I bought the album when it came out as well as a copy when I saw them in Cincinnati so that they could autograph the album. With Laruku, I bought the album as soon as it came out as well as when the US version was released so that they'd know about their American fanbase. With WTD's American release coming out in March, I'll have to buy a copy of that too!

Last edited:
"Awake" L'Arc~en~Ciel
So shocking that I'd pick that, huh? *cough* Anyway, yeah, solid album, love it.

"Diabolos" Gackt
Don't own it but I have a lot of songs off of it. It's Gackt so duh it's good.

"Countdown CD Single" HYDE
I know it's not a whole album, hell it's only a single, but I seriously flipped when it came out so it kinda had to be on here.

#1 - D'espairsray - [Coll:set] - This is one of my favorite albums of all time, not just 2005. I love every song except forbidden. I could listen to this album nonstop and never ever get sick of it. (I think that is what it takes to get an album in your top 3!) Abel to Cain is also in my list for favorite song ever. Karyu and Tsukasa have such great song writing skills, and Tsukasa is an excellent drummer. After seeing them perform live I got to see just how great he really is. Hizumi is the ultimate vocalist to be able to go from awesome screams to a beautiful singing voice is a gift. He combines singing and screaming better than anyone I have ever heard. They might have more simple bass lines than a lot of jrock bands, but it works for them. Whatever it is that they do, they need to keep on doing it because they do it well.

#2 - Duel Jewel - the Birth - Ok so this is only a maxisingle with 3 songs, but with a song like Tales, it makes the top 3 because that is one of the best songs in the world. Trust also has some amazing guitar rhythms and you will find yourself nodding your head, or constantly rocking out to the music. Duel Jewel is my favorite new band (possibly tied with D'espairsray) Their songs are so catchy, and they can go from tough metal chug guitar riffs to sweet softer songs that are still just as catchy and enjoyable. Hayato's vocals are amazing, and Shun is a genius when it comes to writing music. They all seem to be very talented at what they do.

#3 - Merry - nu Chemical Rhetoric - Merry is also another band that has really catchy tunes. I love that they have a bluesy/rockabilly flare to their music. I am a big fan of the blues, so it was nice to find Jrock that had that kind of influence in their songs. Songs like Meisai no Shinshi will have you humming along in no time. Musically they are all great musicians. The drummer is amazing, and the bass is always rocking out. Gara has one of the most unique voices, and the combination of that with the music is great.

Withering to Death is also a good album, but it doesn't have me wanting to hear it every day like some of their other albums. Six Ugly is my favorite.

I agree if you don't own your top 3 albums then you really have a problem and need to bust your butt to get those albums! I have a slight problem because I haven't recieved the Birth yet, but don't worry it is in my order with despas new dvd! =)

lol.... I can't believe I didn't post already in here! 😊

My top three are:

MUCC - Houyoku
Quite simply, every time I listen to this album I think that I am going to die. Literally.

D'espairsRay - Coll:Set
Why need to say anything? This album is just great! 👍

oh god... this is such a hard choice for third! 😭
Ok here goes...

D - The Name of the Rose

I have to give 'honourable mention' to Rentrer en Soi - Sphire-Croid; Kagrra, - San; Dir en grey - Withering to Death; and Kagerou - Gurushoku, though.... 👍

Coll:Set
I love every single song on that fuxxer! <3__<3

Withering To Death
I love alot of the songs, some of them just never get old. <3.<3

nu Chemical Rhetoric
Bluesish, jazzy, lovey death is what this is. I love Merii, their stuff is just so different, and I like that.

Back
Top Bottom