What's new

Tokyo commuters told to work from home to avoid Olympic congestion nightmare

I hope that working from home is something that will catch on after the Olympics, too! (y)

I expect a lot of workers to go "wait a second... i could've been doing this ALL ALONG!?"

Toyota Motor Co., Ltd. has announced that it will generally work at home for 17 days in the summer of 2020 in the Tokyo Olympics, with all approximately 1650 employees working in the Tokyo area.

Forgive me some scepticism here but I think this issue of crowded trains is being hyped up like everything else about these bloody games.

Tokyo copes with an influx of millions every weekday morning and the largest venue, the stadium, is probably going to seat less than 100,000.
There will be localised crowding before events, but I regularly attend football matches in Tokyo. The last one I went to had an attendance of over 42,000, most of them arriving at a single commuter train station (Tobitakyu station for Ajinomoto stadium), and the infrastructure manages very well.
There will be localised crowding before events but the implication of these stories that people won't be able to commute into work from the suburbs during the Olympics is ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom