What's new

The secret of the 'superhero' spider leads advances in field of biomimetics

Hachiko

後輩
17 Jan 2004
Biomimetics, the study of the engineering and design solutions that evolve from natural selection. While human ingenuity is remarkable, and the discoveries and inventions we have made are often breathtaking, we usually achieve only poor imitations of solutions found in nature. This is not surprising, since natural selection has had millions of years longer than we've had to work on honing ways to live.

But more and more, scientists are replicating in the lab what evolution has optimized in nature. There is, for example (those Chinese silkworm farmers would be pleased to know), a genetically engineered goat and its milk contains the protein for spider's silk. On Tuesday, scientists from Penn State University presented their plans for "morphing airplane wings" -- wings that change shape according to the speed and duration of flight.

Japan Times

Looks like interesting stuff. I had heard of the morphing wings before, but I can't remember where (Discovery Wings, maybe?). The spider thing looks really cool. Imagine walking on a ceiling!

Glenn said:
Looks like interesting stuff. I had heard of the morphing wings before, but I can't remember where (Discovery Wings, maybe?). The spider thing looks really cool. Imagine walking on a ceiling!

Am I going to eat that ? :sorry:

heh hehe

Flying into the Future

The morphing tech is just getting off the ideas stage. It is CLEARLY the way forward. Having some small pilot experience myself, I can appreciate very much the sort of benefit this will have.

Let's go flying!

Fascinating field of study which will fundamentally change the way we do things.
First the easier stuff like nuclearly engineered chemicals and pharmaceuticals,
Then the actual curing of diseases, which is slightly more complicated,
Biomimetic stomachs for concentrating pure nutrients will help feed the world,
Biomimetic engines will end our dependence on crude oil and lower CO2 level,
Biomimetic pneumatics and piping will greatly enhance our heating/cooling efficiency...

I can't think of anything else now, but let's keep adding to the list like a growing plant!

Back
Top Bottom