What's new

Some questions for my first time being in Japan

17 Mar 2010
Hello,
I am going to Japan in 10 days for a 17 days stay (27th of march arrival at Kansai Airport and I fly back the 12th of April from Narita Airport).
I still have a couple of questions:?:
1ツ≫?ケ At the day of arrival, I intend to buy at Kansai Airport a "Kansai Rail Pass" for one day but I don't really know, if I'm allowed to buy one.
I am staying more than 15 days and I will probably have the "temporary visitor status" for 90 days on my german passport.
My question: Is it possible for me to buy such a ticket in Japan or should I better try to find an agency outside Japan, where I may buy such an exchange order for this Kansai Railpass?
2ツ≫?ケ I also intend to spent 8 nights in Tokyo and make some excursions around. I intend to visit the Hakone National Park and the Fuji five lakes region over two days but always departing from Tokyo.
The first day I intended to go by Shinkansen Kodama, buy the Hakone 2 day freepass there and to continue to go to Lake Ashi and visit the Hakone detached palace garden, the ancient cedar avenue (view of Mount Fuji) and the Shrine. Then I intended to take the boat over the lake to the north bank of the lake and to take the ropeway to Owakudani and visit this place. Then continue the journey and visit the "Pola museum of art". If I have some time left also the Gora Park.
Finally I would take the train back to Tokyo via Odawara (Hakone Tozan train+ Shinkansen)
My questions:
1ツ≫?ケ Is it possible and realistic to make such trip on one day? Or is it too ambitious?
2ツ≫?ケ Does anybody know where I may find bus timetables (Odawara-Lake Ashi) and Gora Station - Pola Museum of Art? Is it Hakone Tozan bus service? I will go there probably on a Monday the 5th of April.
3ツ≫?ケ Is it better to make the Hakone tour clockwise?
The day after I intended to return to Hakone for half a day in the morning and visit the
Hakone open air museum. From there take the bus via Gotemba to the five lake region.
My questions:
1) Is it too ambitious and should I make a choice and withdrew anything. Which part should I withdraw? Is it possible to make this journey by bus? Where should I take the bus? I have to travel via Gotemba and change bus at the station.
Does anyone know how to find the right timetable?
What places would you recommend to have a good view on Mount Fuji? It's the main purpose for me to go to the five lake region.
Thanks for reading my post and thank-you very much in advance for your answers you may have.

Kansai rail pass? Do you mean JR Rail Pass? If so, you can't buy it in Japan. You buy the voucher for it outside Japan and validate it in Japan.

Your second question.
1. Too busy.
2. I don't know. www.hyperdia.com might help
3. Not a clue, but seems moot.

My take:

Glenski's right about the Rail Pass. You need to buy it outside Japan.
Japan Rail Pass

Otherwise, you'll have to pay the regular and discount fares applied to local citizens. BTW, the Hakone area trains and buses are private. You can't use the JR Rail Pass there. You'll have to buy the Odakyu Pass if you plan to sightsee in the Hakone area--otherwise regular fare.
Odakyu Free Pass
If you have this pass, you can use it to get to Shinjuku Station in Tokyo.

Question 1: I think that's too much for a one-day trip. Either you have to skip some places or have an overnight stay in the area--which should be nice! Enjoy the onsen of Hakone!

Question 2: Yes, there are probably are timetables, but they are all in Japanese.

Question 3: Clockwise or counterclockwise, it is all up to you. I think you'll enjoy it more if you allow your heart and mind to lead the way--getting off trains at places that attract your attention, getting advice from (hopefully English or German speaking) locals or from tourist service centers.

I agree with Epigene-san. 👍

Either direction you will need to take advantage of good timing while budgeting in at least 4-5 hours for transport ALONE (Hakone--Togendai or Hakone-Hakone machi) getting from connecting trains, cablecars, ropeways, boats, buses, walkways (only 6 types ?? haha). The ticketed network is well-equipped but there is always a lag between runs unless you get spectacularly lucky and hit everything with absolute precision. Plus, of course, the hour or so to and from Tokyo.

So enjoy ! Visiting Mt. Fuji and Hakone will always be beautiful and fun. Good luck with the views, too ! :)

Back
Top Bottom