What's new

Shinto God of Snow?

Dark Gami

先輩
11 Dec 2006
Can anyone help me with this? I've spent hours trying to find a Shinto god or goddess of snow, but I've had no luck yet. I found out about Yukionna but from what I read they're are more like a kind of evil spirits.
So, does anyone know a Shinto god or godess of snow?

I found a list of Shinto Gods and the only thing I found was a Goddess of Water: Ame-No-Mi-Kumari-No-Kami (Also known as just Ame-No-Mi-Kumari)

Maybe snow is attributed to Ame-No-Mi-Kumari?

I didn't find a Shinto god of snow, but I found a "Kura-Okami: God of rain and snow." Don't know what religion he belongs to though.

I hope this helped you. :)

I found a link where they mentioned these 2:

Kami-Kaze - god of cold weather
and
Kura-Okami - god of rain and snow

But I think there has to be one that is just the god of snow...

Konnichiwa Dark Gami-san!

Sorry, there is not just the god(or goddess) of snow in Shinto.:(

And "Takaokami" or "Kuraokami" is near to snow goddess. Both goddess are the same goddess, and they are the goddess of water(or rain) originally.
The snow lie thick on the top of high mountain. And those snow changes into meltwater. The meltwater become a small stream, and small stream grow into a river. Japanese farmer harness water of river to cultivate the rice fields. And water and snow goddess are regarded the same goddess.
"Taka" of "Takaokami" means "high". The origin of "high" from "high mountain" or "sky". "Kura" of "Kuraokami" means "dark". The origin of "dark" from gorge's shade. "Takaokami" or "Kuraokami" is the goddess of source(water) but not snow exactly.😌

NANGI

Thanks for the explanation. I guess that the Yukionna is the closest to being a kind of snow deity or spirit...

I actually got curious about this too, so I am going to thank you for the info too. It was slightly annoying that I couldn't find anything solid.

I dunno who's the god or goddess of snow but I'm praying for deep powder during the New Year's week. I'm going skiing!!! :) :) :)

😄 ocean dude i love your av!
anyways i thought kami-kaze was the god of wind

You must be a fan of Johnny Depp. He's here in Tokyo right now, you know. I'll tell him you're a big fan if I run into him. 😊

Tokorode... I'm going skiing this weekend again so I pray for the blessing of Yukigumi sama. :109:

Yukigami heard my prayers! He brought us POWDER--Lots of powder! I am sooo grateful. That was in Yuzawa--just over an hour away (from Tokyo) by shinkansen (bullet train). Next time, it's Nozawa Onsen. I hope yukigami will still find favor with me.

Yuki-Onna? ...but that's just a yokai. :/

There should be one, I've been told in Shinto they believe in a God for everything.

Back
Top Bottom