What's new

science & art

katochan pe

後輩
31 Mar 2007
I'd much appreciate, if you'd explain me, what 'science' in both of the following sentences and 'art' in 2) mean respectively.
'窶ーテ闇?w' for 'science' or 'ナ竹ツ術' for 'art' doesn't look appropriate in this case.
Also I'm at a loss how I understand the sentence 3). Is there a 'not...but' structure?
What does 'for' mean then?
1) That is the stuff of which Parliamentary Counsel are made. That is the spirit which animates them
in their daily run of things as king pins in the science of government.
2) Practice makes perfect. That is an old adage. And practice under guidance is the most effective way to learn an art or a science.
3) Yet the mind could not achieve some, at least, of its purposes but for the means to put practice into effect.
For any help I'd be most grateful.

1) I'm guessing 窶ーテ闇?w doesn't have the same sort of sense that "science" does in that it can be used to validate anything as some sort of grand endeavor. It feels to me like they're just trying to make "government" seem as though it's precise and refined. It seems it came from this book, or something having to do with it, and the authors believe that government should have those qualities. I guess they're just pushing their ideal form of government with that use of "science".

2) Maybe I just don't fully understand 窶ーテ闇?w and ナ竹ツ術, but they both seem applicable in this one.

I agree with Glenn on 1.

I think in number 2 "art" is being used in place of "skill" or an "expertise" but that is just my opinion.

For number 3 I'm not sure. I'm a native English speaker (whatever that is worth) and I am having a hard time understanding it. It sounds very wordy and poetic.

My two yen:

(1) I think has been taken care of. Personally, I think it's a reference to "political science." And, "king pins" should be a single word "kingpins"?

(2) I think the differentiation made here is science as a discipline based on rational thinking and art as something acquired intuitively.

(3) If this follows (2), my guess is: The mind is not able to achieve some of its purposes unless there are means (vehicle/channel?) for practice to produce effect.

I think these sentences will be easier to understand if they are placed correctly in context of a larger passage... 😌

Back
Top Bottom