What's new

News Rent-an-ossan

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
I found this article in a German magazine and sure enough it's been reported in the local news months ago.

Rent an ossan for counselling or more. Probably not exactly the counselling @WonkoTheSane does, but I wonder what's his professional opinion. :)

Middle-aged Japanese 'rent men' are hired to lend an ear as strangers

IMG_2013.JPG

From lonely pensioners to schoolgirls with shattered dreams, Takanobu Nishimoto and his crew of middle-aged men will lend an ear to clients who would never dream of spilling their guts to a therapist or worse, their families. Anyone in need of company can sign up to his online service to rent an ossan — a man aged between 45 and 55 — for ¥1,000 an hour.

"For me, the service is a hobby more than anything," says Nishimoto, who came up with the concept four years ago and now has a growing network of some 60 men across Japan.

"The initial idea was to improve the image of guys my age, people who might not be spring chickens anymore and not taken so seriously." And while the 48-year-old professional fashion coordinator is used to renting himself out, he insists conversation is all he offers to between 30 and 40 clients a month, roughly 70 percent of whom are women.

"The people who rent me are just asking me to keep them company for an hour or two, mainly to listen to them," he tells a reporter between sessions, giving the example of a woman in her 80s who would book him every week for a walk around the local park. "I almost became like her son," he says.

Middle-Aged Men Available for Rental in Japan -- The Cut

Japanese 'rent men' who are paid just to listen | Daily Mail Online

Their official website:

おっさんレンタル

Surprisingly cheap at 1,000 ¥/ hour.

I found this article in a German magazine and sure enough it's been reported in the local news months ago.

Rent an ossan for counselling or more. Probably not exactly the counselling @WonkoTheSane does, but I wonder what's his professional opinion. :)

Middle-aged Japanese 'rent men' are hired to lend an ear as strangers

View attachment 23817

Middle-Aged Men Available for Rental in Japan -- The Cut

Japanese 'rent men' who are paid just to listen | Daily Mail Online

Their official website:

おっさんレンタル

Surprisingly cheap at 1,000 ¥/ hour.
Probably worth (almost) every yen. :D

where do I sign up to do this? I'm starting to show my age and I'm full of insight :D

Back
Top Bottom