What's new

Question Questions about Naomi Osaka's comments

hirashin

Sempai
Donor
8 Apr 2004
Hello, everyone. I've started to learn English. I'm reading some news sites in English.

I have some questions about Naomi Osaka's remarks.

(Quote)
"I have to focus on my mental health. I just think mental health is more prevalent in sports right now."

Earlier, tennis star Osaka, one of the faces of the Games for Japan, lost 6-1 6-4 to world number 42 Czech Marketa Vondrousova in the third round.

After her defeat, she admitted the pressure of carrying her nation's hopes weighed heavy on her mind.

"I definitely feel like there was a lot of pressure for this," she said.

"I think it's maybe because I haven't played in the Olympics before and for the first year it was a bit much. I think I'm glad with how I played, with taking that break that I had."

(Quote)

Q1 What is "the first year"? Does she mean "the Olympics she has taken part in for the first time"?

Q2 What is " a bit much"? Does she mean "she had a bit too much pressure"?

Q3 "What is "taking that break that I had"? I'm not sure which break she meant.

Thanks in advance.

Hirashin

Q1 Probably her first year as a professional tennis player. Until this year she'd been able to cope with the pressure.
Q2 Yes. The pressure was a bit much for her to cope.
Q3 I'm not sure either. She could be talking about her overall performance at the Olympics, which she was satisfied with considering that she'd had a break between the French Open (?) and the Olympics.

I think 1 is referring to the Olympics, the first year she's played in the Olympics. If it was the first time she'd felt this pressure I think you would say that, "first time". She's been playing for years.

Q1 - first year (first time) playing in the Olympics. She's been a professional tennis player for over a year.
Q2 - Yes. Pressure.
Q3 - She quit after her first match of the French Open and then she skipped Wimbledon. So she took a break from the beginning of June until the Olympics.

Thank you for the help, everyone. Mdchachi, I appreciate your detailed explanation about Osaka. I get the feeling that American athletes (Naomi Osaka is virtually American although she was born in Japan) are starting to confess their own mental problems. That's a good thing. Too much pressure or stress can harm your mental health. That should be avoided.

Please correct my English if needed, as always.

Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom