What's new

News Police Fish Taxi from Tokyo Bay

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
15 Mar 2002
image.jpeg
This isn't even on the news yet.

It seems a taxi went into the water somewhere around Shinagawa on probably Monday or Tuesday of this week and drifted to just off the Shibaura docks, right by the Rainbow Bridge.

I just watched as the police fished it out with a crane.

Someone said it was a suicide but I have no way of knowing if that is correct.

That's what I call live coverage!

I hope it wasn't a suicide and the driver is alright.

That's what I call live coverage!

I hope it wasn't a suicide and the driver is alright.

The only way he's alright is if he wasn't in there.

When the police stopped for a lunch break I called Fuji TV, which is right across the bay and with a telephoto lens can cover it without even leaving their building. They sent a crew over but since this dock area is restricted the guards wouldn't let them in.

They may or may not have something on the news later. Depends on how slow a news day it is.

any update on this Mike

Nope.

On Tuesday morning I saw a special sea-floor surveying vessel slowly and methodically covering the area off the dock and since it was the day after the typhoon passed through and the bay was all muddy I thought they were just confirming silting hadn't made the area too shallow for ships to approach. Then I saw a detective and a few CSI guys examining the low curbs by the water's edge, looking for marks.

On Friday I saw they had cordoned off a small section of the dock and there were divers working in the area.

Then today, Saturday, I arrived to find four floats marking the position of what turned out to be a taxi and a crane getting ready to hook onto it. There were loads of cops there, again detectives and CSI guys. As I said, it is a restricted area and has security guards at the entrances so there was no need for uniformed officers to keep the public back or anything like that. There were only about ten or so of us who just happened to be down on the docks for work and who were able to stand around and watch.

I thought they would take the taxi away on a flatbed truck, but they just covered it over with the standard blue sheet and hauled it away with a wrecker about an hour and a half or two hours after it came out of the water.

One thing I noticed when they raised it was that the front wheels were cut all the way over to the right. That would have made it impossible for him to have entered the water from the dock where the taxi was found, and there were no obvious markings on the curbing he would have had to slam into fast to clear anyway. The car drifted there from somewhere else before/while sinking. After they had removed the car and most all the cops were gone I went over and asked a CSI guy if they knew where the taxi had entered the water. He said he didn't know. Maybe he did and maybe he didn't. I have no way of knowing.

Back
Top Bottom