What's new

Oldboy Remake

smoke

後輩
18 Feb 2005
...I couldn't believe this when i heard it.

They are remaking Oldboy! Not only that but Russell Crowe and John Cusack as the two main characters!!! (not definate yet, but likely!).

Why can't hollywood leave eastern cinema alone!
Are subtitles that hard to figure out!?!?

The only pluses about this remake:
1. they are keeping the one-take fight scene
2. They will not change the un-politically correct themes within the film
3. maybe it will encourage people to watch the undoubtedly 10 times better original!

Peace

I agree with you. Why can't they leave these films alone?. Is Hollywood losing all sense of originality? Come on hollywood, you used to have proper script writers and turn out decent films. Money and merchandising has blinded them to making decent films. Try originality, it might work?

F**k Hollywood sometimes... sorry to use my bad word skill... i get sick off it yes!!!! stealing the concept.. i hope it will be a lousy film in america then!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, harsh crowd... heh. I don't mind a big studio adaptation as long as it's done RIGHT (and stays faithful to the original). In this sense, it may open itself up to a wider audience who may never have seen the original. Most films nowdays are water downed/rehashed/remixed versions of other films anyways. Truly original plots/characters/storylines are few and far between I suppose... but they are out there if one looks hard enough.

It's hard to make an original movie anymore...aren't there 5 genres that most/all films can be put in? I've heard that somewhere...but unfortunately can't remember what those 5 are.
It seems they are staying farley close to the original in regards to oldboy...but Russel Crowe??? Come one!

I think it would also be fair to say Japanese filmakers, musicians etc. have borrowed an idea or two from western minds as well.
Lets be fair here people.

As for the remake, I hope it doesn't get butchered...cause the orginal was a total bug out.

Russell Crowe????? Hmmm, while I have nothing against him, and totally respect his acting capacities, I find it an odd casting choice....that being said, I was so impressed by that movie that now, I guess I'll find any other actor than Min-sik Choi (it was Min-sik Choi, right? Sorry, I'm not too familiar with Korean actors -yet!) in the part hard to accept.

Oh, btw, has anybody here seen "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance" (from the same director`)?

Aria28 said:
Oh, btw, has anybody here seen "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance" (from the same director`)?
Yes i have, another fantastic movie...which, unfortunately, i have also heard rumour that it may be remade (due to the popularity of Oldboy, people went and saw sympathy for Mr Vengence...and someone obviously thought it would be worth cashing in on!)

What?!

Ok, I went to check over at IMDB and there is no project known, at least under the same title (although IMDB is *not* always the most reliable source). I dunno about you, but for me, Sympathy is just one of those films, like those of Kiyoshi Kurosawa for instance, that just cannot be remade by Americans. It's not that I despise American cinema, they have tons of very gifted people in all departments, but it's just one of those movies that has strong elements (I mean by that the symbolic value of items or actions, mentalities, etc) typical the Eastern Asian cultures, be they Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Thai, etc and that cannot be translated in our western cultural language. Or else the story would need to be altered substancially.

Aria28 said:
but it's just one of those movies that has strong elements (I mean by that the symbolic value of items or actions, mentalities, etc) typical the Eastern Asian cultures, be they Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Thai, etc and that cannot be translated in our western cultural language.
exactly what remakes of eastern cinema tend not to work!

my bad...it was sympathy for Mr Vengeance that is being remade, it was Joint Security Area.

In an unprecedented move in the trend of U.S. remakes of South Korean films, L.A.-based screenwriter David Franzoni ("Gladiator") has optioned rights to adapt Park Chan-wook's 2000 hit "Joint Security Area." The film is a controversial drama about the demilitarized zone between North and South Korea -- using the backdrop of the U.S.-Mexico border and illegal immigration. Under the deal, Franzoni also will make his directing debut on the as-yet-untitled remake. The deal was finalized Wednesday between South Korean production and sales company MK Pictures; Franzoni's agency, CAA; and his attorney Linda Lichter. Normally remake deals for South Korean films are brokered by an independent manager in Los Angeles or between the sales and production company and the American entity. Numerous deals have been made with U.S. studios in recent years, but this is the first time an individual has approached a Korean company directly, according to MKP's L.A. managing director Paul Yi.

A film i haven't seen but will be looking out for!

Haven't seen it either, and have no idea what it could be about, outside the tidbits in your post, smoke. Does anyone here have any idea? How good is this movie?

From what I heard it was origionally japanese and remade into a korean movie. Oh I loved it so much. I might cry if this is true about hollywood. They always screw things up. If you're going to remake a movie remake one that wasnt PERFECT ... remake one that was bad. Well they are getting better when it comes to "movie part 2" its not a knock off of part 1 usually ... they now make it into a good movie itself ... lets just cross our fingers and hope they dont screw it up.

Never have been a great fan of remakes, i almost cried when they screwed up Godzilla...
But then again it's not as bad as when they dub old martial arts movies. :D

Aria28 said:

I've seen that, didnt think it was as good as it was made out to be.
Although the scene when the guy's sister is making orgasmic sounds and the bunch of guys masturbating next door is hilarious. 😊

Old boy is about a guy who is kidnapped while out on the street in front of a crowed .. he is held in a room for 15 years then is let out. He has no idea why he is held in the room or who did it. When he gets out he tries to find out why. While in the room he tried to kill himself but they never let him. Anyway that's where the story begins and he doenst realize .......... there is HUGE twist at the end!

I thought it would be some lame excuse for being in there for 15 years but its a perfect reson. Oh its so perfect! I wont spoil the ending for you though

haha i love when they dub martial arts movies. well as long as they arnt brilliant movies. its funny =o)

Gaki said:
Never have been a great fan of remakes, i almost cried when they screwed up Godzilla...
But then again it's not as bad as when they dub old martial arts movies. :D
Amen to that brother!

Gaki said:
Although the scene when the guy's sister is making orgasmic sounds and the bunch of guys masturbating next door is hilarious. 😊
and once again, Amen to that!
Although, i did really enjoy the film all round. I didn't really know a lot about it prior to seeing it (apart from 'It's supposed to be really good") so maybe i went into it with no expectation.

Aria28 said:
Haven't seen it either, and have no idea what it could be about, outside the tidbits in your post, smoke. Does anyone here have any idea? How good is this movie?
Apparently it's about the north/south border of Korea...but that is really all i know.
DVDanswers.com may have some info but i haven't checked.

Yes I was simply making a point.
Obviously Old Boy is Korean...rough crowd here huh?

sheesh....

By the way I def recommend Sex is Zero (also Korean)
The egg scene is disturbingly funny.

I also suggest My Wife is Gangster, it was actually pretty funny.

:)

666Arigato said:
I also suggest My Wife is Gangster, it was actually pretty funny.

:)

Seen half of that, funny when she asks for advice how to please a man and starts sucking his finger :D

I think there's supposed to be a sequel, havent seen it though.

Back
Top Bottom