What's new

Kanji Dictionary, which one is better?

RockLee

Hullu
22 Apr 2004
I'm going to buy a kanji-dictionary soon, but I would like some advice on which one is better and user-friendly.

In class we used the dictionaries from Nelson and Kodansha.

Nelson :
080482036801_AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_-1.jpg

Amazon.com: The New Nelson Japanese-English Character Dictionary (9780804820363): Andrew N. Nelson, John H. Haig: Books

This dictionary is from '97 and has more technical kanji

Kodansha :
477002335901_BO2204203200_PIlitbdp500arr-1.jpg

The Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary (Kodansha Dictionaries): Jack Halpern: 9784770023353: Amazon.com: Books

This dictionary is from '99

I think it's more user-friendly and even shows how to write kanji.
Personally I'm thinking of getting the Kodansha dictionary, but on the other hand, the Nelson has more information and for translating more technical texts it might be better.But then, I'm no translator so I think the Kodansha would do.

What do you think is best? What are your opinions on both dictionaries?
Any better ones on the market ?

edit:

Just found this one, also from Kodansha and it's from 2002
477002855501_AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_-1.jpg

Amazon.com: The Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary (9784770028556): Jack Halpern: Books

When I was buying, everybody recommended this last one, Kodansha's (other choice was this nelson). So I bought it. haven't use it so much, but so far, I am very satisfied 🙂:

If you are just starting with Kanji, get the Kodansha Learner's Dictionary (the last one on your list is the latest edition). Its a great little dict. with lots of info crammed into it. Something you can carry around too, as its not real big.

Only thing its missing IMHO is a stroke count index.

dc_johnson45 said:
If you are just starting with Kanji, get the Kodansha Learner's Dictionary (the last one on your list is the latest edition). Its a great little dict. with lots of info crammed into it. Something you can carry around too, as its not real big.

Only thing its missing IMHO is a stroke count index.
That's why I don't want that pocket ****, I need a good dictionary with all the options ;-) The 'deluxe' version has everything, so I think I'm gonna go with that one :)

I have two Kanji dictionaries - the first is comprehensive: NTC's new Japanese-English Character Dictionary, Editor in Chief: Jack Halpern, ISBN 0-8442-8434-3.
The second is Tuttle Language Library, Kanji and Kana: Revised edition, Wolfgang Hadamitzky and Mark Spahn, ISBN 0-8048-2077-5. It is a basic book giving a limited number of examples for each of the Jouyou Kanji. However, it does have a VERY useful stroke count index, which makes it possible to track the meaning of an unknown character, or one for which furigana shows a kun reading, simply by counting the number of strokes that are used in its formation.
(I have noticed though, that the two dictionaries do not always agree on the stroke count, and yes, often I need to do recounts before I can find the character I want.)
In my opinion, both these dictionaries are essential, and complement each other well.

RockLee said:
That's why I don't want that pocket ****, I need a good dictionary with all the options ;-) The 'deluxe' version has everything, so I think I'm gonna go with that one :)
Well, the Learning Dictionary does have its own lookup system, and a very good radical index.

Its not as useful as some of the large dictionaries, but on the flip side its very portable. I think its a worthy purchase, esp for your first dictionary. Remember, its geared towards learning and not a 3 inch thick comprehensive tome.

for learning any particular kanji, it's stroke order, it's traditional and simified chinese count part. use NTC
for compound kanji: use nelsonw
for portability: use a denshijisho

Back
Top Bottom