What's new

JavaScript Kana Editor

David Hallgren

New comer
2 Mar 2004
Hi, everyone, those of you who have read my previous posts know that I'm working on a page for anyone who study Japanese. The last month or so the exams in school has taken all my time so I haven't had any time to develop new function. But school is over now and I'm working at a programming company. Yesterday I wanted to make a post here but didn't have IME on the computer I was sitting at and didn't have time to install it, so I felt the need for something new; An editor online.
So I rolled up my sleeves during today's coffee break and developed this: David Hallgren's Japanese Page

I know it's not complete but hopefully I can enhance it with your feedback. 👍

Right now it only supports Internet Explorer, but maybe I will make it compatible with Mozilla and Netscape etc.

You can only write Hiragana with it for the moment, but Katakana will probably come tomorrow. I will try to connect it to WWWJDIC in order to make Kanji-lookup and dictionary functions available.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Well, that's in the ballpark of what I'm looking for. I played with the Kana Editor a bit, then I went ahead and registered, then I bookmarked the site. Thanks for that dude.

Wow!

Wow, David, that's excellent! Well done!

I noticed that, for the particle を , the Hiragana quizzes accepted both the Romaji "o" and "wo." Would it be possible to include other alternate Romaji spellings, as well? For example:

"shi" in addition to "si" (for し)
"tsu" in addition to "tu" (for つ)
"chi" in addition to "ti" (for ち)
"fu" in addition to "hu" (for ふ)
"ji" in addition to "zi" (for じ)

and so forth. Many of these alternate spellings seem to work well in the Kana Editor.

These are fantastic programs. Another great way for me to study!

どうも ありがとう ございます! がんばって!!

Dan

P.S. This is the first time I've been able to write Japanese on the web without using Romaji, thanks to your Kana Editor! (I hope I got everything right...)

I'm glad you find it useful. But in order to make more of you interested in this, I've now created the first version of Dictionary and Kanji-find functionality.

Select a word and press F2 to get a list of Kanji-compounds to replace it with. It's not complete or perfect yet, but quite extensive. I think I will add a function for people to make additions to this database so that we can work together to make it even more complete, right now there are 100.000+ entries.

Select a word and press Ctrl+D to search the dictionary.

Maybe an online version of JWPce isn't impossible.

One again, hope you find it useful!
David Hallgren's Japanese Page

Pretty neat.
Small bug you can easily fix: When you have a list of kanjis displayed, when the focus (blinking text cursor) is not on the textbox, and you press "insert," the kanji appears in the insert button itself, and it can keep on adding if you keep pressing.

Back
Top Bottom