What's new

Is it possible? (Immigration Question)

Metalgear132

Photographer with Dreams
10 Jan 2007
Is it possible to immigrate to Japan without a bachelors degree?

At the moment I'm about to get my Associates in Drafting (CAD) and getting a Bachelors in that field doesn't really seem worthwhile since it's more of a field that prefers work experience over college titles.

So is it absolutely impossible without it?

"Immigrate to Japan" means what?
Get a job here?
Go to school here?
Get married to a Japanese and live here?

If you are talking about getting a job with just an AD, no.

Immigration requires that most work visa applicants have either a bachelor's degree or a certain number of years of work experience (usually 10). Even so, non-teaching jobs usually require high fluency in Japanese reading/speaking/writing. You have not mentioned your language ability, but if you are like most people who ask these sorts of questions, you probably are very low level.

Is it possible to come here and get a job without a bachelor's degree? Yes.
Is it easy? No, and the odds are against you.

Visas that don't require a bachelor's degree:
Student visas will let you work part-time, but you don't sound as if you want to get more schooling.
Cultural activities visas let you work part-time, but you usually need prior experience with the CA (swordmaking, martial arts, pottery, etc.).
Dependent visas, but you have to be married to a foreigner who has a valid visa, and you can only work PT.
Spouse visas, but you have to be married to a Japanese, and even though you can do any sort of work, not just what a work visa permits, you will need to be seen by employers as qualified vocationally and in terms of language skills.
Intracompany transfer visas, but you have to work at the company abroad for a year first.
Working holiday visas. These are limited to non-Americans, so it doesn't apply to you, and they are only good for a year anyway.

The intracompany transfer visa, student visa and cultural activities visa are not good for long-term stay, either.

Get the degree or wait for 10 years to get experience. Learn plenty of Japanese, too.

But have you even visited Japan to know the least bit of what it's like here? Your profile says no, and that you are also a manga/anime fan. Not good for job prospects.

He asked a question about Japanese four years ago. It is conceivable that he put those four years to good use and has learned a LOT of Japanese. That's what you would expect from someone planning to emigrate to Japan, after all.

Alright, then I'll just have to push through for a Bachelors.

And Glenski, that last bit seems a bit unfair. Yes, while I haven't been to Japan I do plan on visiting before I would ever emigrate from the US to Japan. Secondly, yes I do enjoy watching anime from time to time but I also do realize that Tokyo is not filled with Gundams walking around and girls say more than just "Kawaii!" It's simply just something I enjoy watching at times, it's not my focus for moving there.

Even after I acquire my Bachelors I won't be moving there right away because there are still things I want to do here, in America. It was simply just a question to see whether continuing my college education was necessary.

Thanks anyway for the information!

The degree will make it possible for you to come here and work, which is not the same as saying it will allow you to immigrate.

Before you make further life plans based on a notion that you'd someday like to emigrate to Japan you should put some time into learning about the particulars of the process so you can make your plans and preparations based on reliable fact instead of at some point down the road discovering that uninformed assumptions are giving you a sudden painful bite in the a$$.

What sort of work do you plan to do? What are the visa implications? What are the employment possibilities? Will your language skills be adequate? Should you suffer burnout and leave Japan (as most do), will your qualifications, skills, and job experiences be current/adequate to make you competitive in your field back in the US? etc etc etc. There's a lot more to this than buying a plane ticket and packing a suitcase.

Metalgear,
Sorry to have hurt your feelings with that last part of my post, but it was entirely fair. I've been on forums for 15 years, and you wouldn't believe how many anime freaks post exactly like you did. They have never been here, yet they post that they want to come and live here forever...seriously. Since your profile showed what it did, I made the leap. Glad to know otherwise, but try seeing it from my side.

Please let us know whether Mike Cash was on the money or not regarding language ability.

Mike has given you other advice, too, that was very sound. Since you said you won't come here immediately after you get a degree, just how long do you figure it will be? Nobody has a crystal ball, of course, but you might also be amazed at how many people on these forums ask what the economy will be like in 2 or 5 or 10 years so that they can make "plans". Immigration policies have recently changed, and they are likely to change more over the years, but I've been posting for many years about visas and immigration policies and teaching, so give us a little more background on your plans, and I'll be more than happy to share the wealth of knowledge I've gleaned.

Back
Top Bottom