What's new

Important. Using debit/visa check card in Japan

Galvin

後輩
24 Apr 2004
I should be in Japan at the end of the month. But I have a new problem. I thought I researched this months ago that there was ATM's at post offices that could use debit cards. Now I find out that is not true. The machines can't use debit cards from the USA.

So how can I get my money from the USA each month in japan without spending a lot of money doing wire transfer?

You can use citibank ATM cards on some of the machines down here, you might also be able to find a hotel or a major bank with ATMs that you can use your card on. I found an ATM in a hotel near my place where I can just withdraw money every month. You usually have to pay a small money conversion fee. Don't get any cheques sent over or anything because banks charge a fortune to cash them in.

I found out about citibank. So going to open an account tommorow.
So i'm all set now. Thanks

Galvin said:
I should be in Japan at the end of the month. But I have a new problem. I thought I researched this months ago that there was ATM's at post offices that could use debit cards. Now I find out that is not true. The machines can't use debit cards from the USA.

So how can I get my money from the USA each month in japan without spending a lot of money doing wire transfer?

Post offices are the easiest places to use debit cards from the USA at. You have to make sure that the funds are set up in your checking account first, do a visitor withdrawl and you will be in business. Do it in the early morning to take advantage of the exchange rates. Also, sometimes in train stations and shopping centres will have certain ATM machines capable of visitor withdrawls.

But, post offices are the best bet.

Ant

I wouldnt use a card, credit or debit, in japan if i can help it. Of my 19 exchange mates who had cards none of them could use them except in large citibank branches, not in postoffices, not in hotels, was a real pain in the ***.

Me on the otherhand, took 3 months worth of cash with me and got some more mailed everyonce in a while. You get a better exchange rate that way too.

You know, I can definietly say that anyone I know that is from the US as I am, never once had a lick of trouble with Debit cards in Japan. Maybe it is an issue with Australian banks?

Ant

American Express recently came out with an ATM-like card which I've been led to understand can be used like like a debit card. You buy the cards like you would AMEX Traveler's Cheques in given amounts and then use at your discretion. That might be a viable option. But I would call AMEX and get more information first.

Back
Top Bottom