What's new

Hi I am an American moving to japan

The Brazilians also tend to be doing their jobs legally, with appropriate visas. Something our new-found playmate will not be able to do.

The Brazilians also tend to be doing their jobs legally, with appropriate visas. Something our new-found playmate will not be able to do.

That's no good then..

Could you speak Japanese when you arrived and was the truck licence a trade off or start afresh in Japan?

It's actually refreshing knowing their are foreigners in Japan who dodn't teach English.

That's no good then..

Could you speak Japanese when you arrived and was the truck licence a trade off or start afresh in Japan?

I couldn't speak Japanese at all when I arrived, other than knowing the numbers from 1 to 10. I got my truck licenses (窶佚・ナ耽 and ナ陳。ヒ?ク) by going to driving school here. Twice.

Dude, if you can't afford to go to college, how do you expect to be able to afford to live in Japan?
There's such a thing as student loans, and state-run or community colleges. Tuition is $5-6k a year at a state university, which federal student loans will pretty much cover. If your parents' income is low enough you can even get grants that you don't have to pay back (not the case for me unfortunately). If you wait until you're 24, you don't even have to claim your parents' income and you can get all these grants.
You can then work while you go to school, to pay rent ($300 a month is about right for a college student sharing an apartment) and eat.
Basically, you *can* afford to go to college. You just don't want to.

PS, I smell a troll?

^^^^^^^^^^ That is EXACTLY What I'm doing. Since I'm completely deaf in one ear and have bad sight,(Don't worry, I can somehow see and hear perfectly) I can go to college for free at Community college. I'm going there, and after that, I'll head over to Nihon/Nippon and begin a new life.

It makes no sense though, whatsoever to go there without college first and NO knowledge of the Japanese language.

Yeah, I totally agree with what all or most of you guys are saying. I took the student loan route cause my parents were a bit too wealthy for me to get any grants, and I guess the 3.5 GPA I maintained was just not enough for scholarships...at any rate I learned enough Japanese to get around, I have been there several times, mostly vacations or visiting my fiance who's Japanese. But finally I did land a teaching job which for me is cool because that is what I majored in at University. Anyway my advice is suck it up and go to school, if you really wanna live in Japan you will get there, I had to wait about 3 years to finally find a job in the area and location I wanted.

I'm planning to move to Japan as well, however once I feel comfortable and fluent enough in Japanese before I get over there.

I have more or less, 5-6 years office experience, and am planning on getting further into the Technical field (IT) like IT helpdesk and up to Network Analyst.

I've taken some IT schooling but was an idiot and didn't take a government approved one, so I'm just stuck with lame accomplishment certificates, but will be making it up through experience over the next 5-6 years.

Does anyone know of the availability for a foreigner to work at an Office job or IT job?

Last edited:
Regular vanilla office jobs are usually taken up by Japanese office ladies (OLs), and these days they often work through temp agencies. Don't expect a job that way unless you speak, read, and write fluent Japanese (and can pass their stringent written exams!).

Look for companies in your homeland with branch offices here that don't ask for much Japanese (although you will still need it). You have to have something a local doesn't have, and frankly, I just don't see that in your qualifications.

IT? Look at the qualifications on ads in www.daijob.com .

That makes sense, I can't imagine it being easy for a foreigner to get a job in the first place.

But I'll check out that site when I get home, and hopefully I could at least figure out what I should be working on accomplishing these next few years.
Maybe by then I'll have more qualifications that are not as common.

Thanks 👍

I couldn't speak Japanese at all when I arrived, other than knowing the numbers from 1 to 10. I got my truck licenses (窶佚・ナ耽 and ナ陳。ヒ?ク) by going to driving school here. Twice.
This sounds like me! Except, I could only count the 3.😌 Oh... and the part about getting a truck licence, I went a different route, but still had to pass written exams.

I am from Brazil and I have a legal visa to work here but I am not working at this moment cuz I am looking for a job dealing with Photography, which was my major in college.
Is there anyone who knows anywhere or anyone I could send my CV to find a work in a gallery or Photography Studio?
I graduated from college last year and my major was Bachelor of Photography with emphasis in Art and Culture. I want to make my living here but not as a hard worker. Since I am graduated from college I want to take chances and find jobs that deal with photography and visual communication.

Well, there are many Brazilian folks here in Japan working in factories but most of them MUST be NIKKEI, wich means, from Japanese families or at least married to one.

Later!

Maybe you could be a beer taster for Asahi?

:romance:
me too... I would like to be taster for Asahi, because for me it's the best Japanese beer with YEBISU and Kirin ;-)

Breaking into the photography market will be tough with no portfolio. Create one if you can. How's your Japanese?

Back
Top Bottom