What's new

Help: Wanna & Wantta

I've never heard anybody say "wantta" I always hear "wanna" when making "want to" into one word. If i ever said "wantta" it would be with an accent just joking around. I just cant imagine it sounding serious. =o) But everyplace is different in america I guess =)

This will probably just add to the confusion, but in my part of England we often contract 'want to' to 'want' - for example, "Do you want go out?". It looks and sounds really idiotic when you think about it, but around here people say it all the time.

Tsuyoiko said:
This will probably just add to the confusion, but in my part of England we often contract 'want to' to 'want' - for example, "Do you want go out?". It looks and sounds really idiotic when you think about it, but around here people say it all the time.
That is so interesting. Do you mean you often lose the vowel /u/ or /@/ schwa whille retaining the 't' ?
Or could it be the vowel becoming extrmely short ?
Is there not even a trace of a vowel after 'want' and before 'go' ?
How far away from Newcastel-on-Lyme can you hear this being spoken (if you've noticed) ?
I'm asking you this because a 'tg' cluster seems hard to pronounce at least in my American dialect. :)

We just drop the word 'to' altogether. In the example, probably the 't' at the end of 'want' as well, now that I think about it. It is probably more like "Do you wan go out". But sometimes you would hear the 't', like "Do you want eat out?" I think it is very localised, and definitely very informal. I also think most people aren't aware they are doing it. And I would definitely suggest that you do not try it!

Back
Top Bottom