What's new

Grammar Book for N4 & N5

Jrc01

後輩
1 May 2013
I'm currently studying for N4 but my grammar is still really bad. I've been seeing alot of people saying that Minna no Nihongo series is a good book, but what I need is a particular book that cover only grammar. I have "A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar", but have no idea if it covers all N5 & N4 grammar or not.
Can anyone who have used that book tell me if it covers all the grammar needed for N4? Also, does anyone have any suggestion about which grammar book do you think is the best for N4 & N5?

I only have around 1 month to studying for the grammar to decide whether I'm going to register for N3 or N4, so a good book that can help you learn in a quick pace would be great. Thank you for your attention, anyway.

As you owned, A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar is the quickest way to learn basic grammar. I don't read that book until I finished the Minna no Nihongo Beginner Level so I've no idea what it is like for complete beginner, but it's definitely a good choice. I still recommend you walk through Minna no Nihongo though, especially the books for reading. I knew all the basic texts after completed it.

For N3, A Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar is even better. It covers nearly all grammar structures for intermediate level and is very easy to learn, since there are not many vocabularies. I don't know how to increase reading speed, maybe depend on how many books you have read but AFTER completed reading A Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar I feel I could now easily recognize almost every grammar for intermediate and grammar now to me is not a big issue.

Did you use both Minna no Nihongo 1 & 2, with all of its series (Hyojun Mondaishu, Bunpo Kaisetsu, Kaite Oboeru, Kanji Eigoban, Kanji Renshuuchou, Yasashii Sakubun, Choukai, & Shokyuu de Yomeru)?
The reason why I don't use MnN is because it has way too much series, and I don't know which series covers which section. Beside, I don't think I have much time to studying all of them.

But do you think that actually just by studying MnN 1 & 2, people can pass N4?

Did you use both Minna no Nihongo 1 & 2, with all of its series (Hyojun Mondaishu, Bunpo Kaisetsu, Kaite Oboeru, Kanji Eigoban, Kanji Renshuuchou, Yasashii Sakubun, Choukai, & Shokyuu de Yomeru)?
The reason why I don't use MnN is because it has way too much series, and I don't know which series covers which section. Beside, I don't think I have much time to studying all of them.

That's Shokyuu de Yomeru (2 volumes), probably excellent for N4 Reading Comprehension.

But do you think that actually just by studying MnN 1 & 2, people can pass N4?

Sure. It doesn't cover all N4 grammar but you can look up for Kanzen Master 3 kyu to fill it up. But nearly 85% of important grammar is there. Also note, you only need 90/180 points to pass N4, so after completed Minna you will probably find N4 a cakewalk. The only tricky problem is honorifics, so pay attention to those when practicing. Another advantage of Minna that I recommend is there are a lot of exercises for Shokyuu cover nearly everything in the test. The only missing points is sentences arranging and text grammar, which you will probably need a N5-N4 grammar book for practice them.

Back
Top Bottom