What's new

Gibson launches digital guitar

Dream Time

後輩
20 Jul 2003
I don't quite like the idea of this...
it becomes way too convinient...

http://www.globetechnology.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20040429.gtgibson0429/BNStory/Technology/

The advantages of the digital guitar come down to sound and control. For 70 years, the electric guitar pickup has translated string vibrations into an electrical signal fed to an amplifier. The player can control the tone and volume, but output is limited to a mono or stereo signal. The signal itself is noisy by today's standards, and stray frequencies often cause an annoying hum.

"Some of the guitar pickups popular today go back to the 1920s," Mr. Juszkiewicz said. "We have not changed a lot in terms of the instrument."

The digital guitar uses computer chips to clean up the signal — Mr. Juszkiewicz describes the new sound as traditional but "on steroids."

It also allows the player to control the sound of each string. For example, the guitarist can have a heavy metal crunch on the low strings, medium distortion on the middle strings and a clean sound on the high strings.

digital guitar eh? Isn't that sort of cheating? I know what you mean DT. I don't like the idea either.

I guess I'm missing something, because I don't see how it is cheating. Is it cheating to use processors and effects?* This to me seems to be the same sort of technological advance. I think the main question is how will it sound? If it sounds good then I see no problem with using such an instrument.

*I personally don't use effects, but that's just because I never really got into using them. It always seemed to me that if your technique was good, you would sound good no matter what you were playing on or what you were playing through, so I never took the time to learn how to use effects.

Back
Top Bottom