What's new

Get on/off home.

nekocat

先輩
3 Apr 2007
1.Now get on home!
2.Now get off home!​

Could you tell me if there is difference in meaning between these two sentences?

The first one sounds like a hillbilly way of saying "Now go home." The second one doesn't sound like something anyone would say.

LOL I hear the first one quite a bit living in Mississippi, it sounds more like something you would hear in the south of America. It really just means "Go home." as a command. I wouldn't suggest saying it when "Go home" works just as well. Number 2 doesn't really make any sense at all.

yeah the first is like a command but the second is also a command but while it does'nt make sense to anyone else I used to use it alot when i was younger as a slang.

"I'm getting off (home)".

I dont think that they would be used by americans.

PS On your photo is that the cat that costs 10,000£? or 2300000 yen?

I havent heard the first sentence used at all in the UK, but some people may use it I guess.
As fot the second sentence, well Ive used it several times. Its more of a command telling someone to get themselves home when they should have been home say at least ten minutes ago. I have heard fellow parents say it to their children quite alot over here in the UK.

Same here - "get on home!" sounds really American to me, whereas "get off home!" is something that I wouldn't bat an eyelid about people saying in England. It's really just a more emphatic way of saying "go home!"

Both are used to say "go home" as Kinsao mentioned and, as I have experienced are usually said to stray dogs and such. "Scram!", "go away!", "git!", "Shoo", are other words to use. And parents might say it to their kids who have strayed from the house and they have to go looking for them. "Now git on home!"

"Get on home" (usually pronounced Git on home!) is used as slang in the US, particularly the south, and "Get off home" is probably used more in England or Europe, but never heard in the US.

However, one must be careful in how and when it is used as it can sometimes be said to people in the sense of, "Get the hell out of here and go home!" (I don't want to see you around here)

i dont know about the second one really but maybe "get off to home" would be ok. never really heard either before.

I've heard British people (my mother included) saying, "I'm off!", meaning, "I'm leaving now. Good-bye!" "I'm off to the library" is another version. The only way I've heard this used by Americans is like from a commentator in a race, saying, "And ........ They're off!"

As Geostigma said, "Get on home" is probably heard more in the southern U.S., and could even be said in an affectionate way.

On and Off when used in those kinds of situations are kind of like prepositions, they indicate a direction related to the verb. As Sarapva said, "I'm off!" indicates the act of exiting or leaving because 'off' as a preposition usually indicates a departure of some kind. To 'get off a train', 'get off a horse', even something action-themed like "I managed to get a shot off but I didn't hit him" referring to the firing of a gun.. the shot got off, as in, the bullet was issued (away from the shooter.)

There is no linear relationship in some cases, however. While you can get on and off a train or bicycle, you cannot refer to the same action situation with the gun, because bullets never enter a gun when fired they only exit. "Go on"... the on there I *think* is an abbreviated form of 'onward', as in continuing the present course or direction. During an explanation or story, if the speaker pauses, the listener might say "Go on", or if physically walking, you could also tell someone who's stopped to "go on, keep moving".

In my mind, the idea behind 'go on home' follows this trend. However, there is no real opposite to 'onward' that translates directly into off.. i.e. there is no 'offward'. Therefore 'go off home' doesn't mean the same thing OR the exact opposite thing. Most commonly, to 'go off' means something completely different.. i.e. to detonate, explode, finish counting down, like a bomb or alarm clock.

its an idiomatic expression i believe. So there will be no direct translation. Can i ask something nekocat? what material are you getting all this stuff from? Maybe you should try something more contemporary?

I've heard British people (my mother included) saying, "I'm off!", meaning, "I'm leaving now. Good-bye!" "I'm off to the library" is another version. The only way I've heard this used by Americans is like from a commentator in a race, saying, "And ........ They're off!"
As Geostigma said, "Get on home" is probably heard more in the southern U.S., and could even be said in an affectionate way.

Wow, you've never heard 'I'm off' used by Americans? And you're even from my home state of virginia. Hmm, dialects are quite tricky, hey? Maybe I got it from my New York-raised parents. Or my Arlington friends. Or charlottesville during Uni. Regardless, I say, 'Hey, 'I'm off to the store, want anything?' and similar things all the time.

I can't vouch for anywhere else, but "Get on home" is usually more common than "Get off home." In my area (Texas,) Get off home is considered lower-class slang. It's short for "Get off to home."

1.Now get on home! <---- seem like "Go Home" .understandable.
2.Now get off home! <---- not really good grammar (Y_Y)

but i would rather revised it to:

1. Now, go home!
2. Now, out of my/this/that house(home). (^_^)

Really, the two sayings "Get off home" and "get on home" mean the same thing. There's no difference in meaning there.

It's a silly sentence though. As a few people have already said, "Go home" is a better way of saying it.

"Now get on home"
"Now get off home"
It sounds silly to me ,if you ask ,and if I will hear that I will think more that someone asked to climb on the house/climb down from house (I only now remembered difference between home and house :) )

Back
Top Bottom