What's new

FUJITV & NHK Regarding China

nhk9

先輩
27 Aug 2004
I recently watched a documentary on NHK about the Pacific War. Then I came to this club on youtube, a "discussion" about "Anti-Japanese sentiments in China".

Both shows contained guests from different academic backgrounds, and with one "Chinese" guest person who is supposedly going to represent China's point of view. What I find amazing is that in NHK's show, the Japanese and Chinese experts both tried to find a solution towards the friction between the two countries, in a harmonious way. However, in FUJI TV's show, it was more like war than anything else -- you've got several Japanese experts, appearing to be very right-leaning attacking the Chinese expert, and then the Chinese expert of course tried to defend his position in a ready-to-fight stance. Then, you've got the same rhetoric flying back and forth about textbooks etc. They couldn't come to a conclusion, but one thing for certain is that FUJITV managed to get their right-leaning message across.

The worst thing about the FUJITV show was that one of the announcers referred to the killings at Nanking to be "Nanking Incident", and that she said the Chinese "make it sound like Nanking Massacre" ((中国政府が南京事件を)南京大虐殺というようにして)

Of course there's still debate about the names of certain events, but it seems like to me that the TV station is making a stance already before the so-called experts even have a chance to discuss (but that's not to say that the discussion brought up anything new or creative anyway)

Yasukuni, Yasukuni, Yasuknuiii!!
Militarist, right-wing, Koizmiiii!!!
History, history!! Textbooook!!!
Liberation! Tibet, Uyghur, Tiananmen!!
Taiwan, Senkaku, Ryukyuuu!!
Soccer stadium! Consulate vandalization!!
Economic bubble! Pollution! Riots! Olympic!!

Look at me!

What I find amazing is that in NHK's show, the Japanese and Chinese experts both tried to find a solution towards the friction between the two countries, in a harmonious way. However, in FUJI TV's show, it was more like war than anything else -- you've got several Japanese experts, appearing to be very right-leaning attacking the Chinese expert, and then the Chinese expert of course tried to defend his position in a ready-to-fight stance. Then, you've got the same rhetoric flying back and forth about textbooks etc. They couldn't come to a conclusion, but one thing for certain is that FUJITV managed to get their right-leaning message across.

Fuji tv has alot of stocks of Sankei newspaper that has many stocks of Fuji tv, which makes theirselves as 'Fuji-Sankei group'. Sankei simbun has been always right leaning. Sankei has a Shintaro Ishihara's column, Ishihara is the governor of Tokyo, on the top page one at a month.

Fuji tv has alot of stocks of Sankei newspaper that has many stocks of Fuji tv, which makes theirselves as 'Fuji-Sankei group'. Sankei simbun has been always right leaning. Sankei has a Shintaro Ishihara's column, Ishihara is the governor of Tokyo, on the top page one at a month.
Yeah, yamada-san's right. Fuji is the vehicle for right-leaning Sankei. NHK is the voice of the government, regardless of what it claims it is ("neutral public service" so they say). TV Asahi is cohort of left-leaning "liberal" Asahi Shimbun, and NTV associated with anti-communist Yomiuri. TBS is supposedly middle-of-the-road with Mainichi Shimbun, though it's not always true. :eek:

You have to filter media reports with understanding of their respective backgrounds.

Yeah, yamada-san's right. Fuji is the vehicle for right-leaning Sankei. NHK is the voice of the government, regardless of what it claims it is ("neutral public service" so they say). TV Asahi is cohort of left-leaning "liberal" Asahi Shimbun, and NTV associated with anti-communist Yomiuri. TBS is supposedly middle-of-the-road with Mainichi Shimbun, though it's not always true. :eek:
You have to filter media reports with understanding of their respective backgrounds.

Not long ago I only knew Fuji because of its Iron Chef series and its excellent dramas. Too bad nothing in the world is perfect. In Canada we obviously don't have Fujitv, so the only shows we are exposed to are those from the entertainment sector.

No TV debate something like "all Canadian should be a subject of Prince of Pot"?
If not, it is such a boring TV life there.

I compared the repsonses by several online jpn newspapers regarding the birth of princess kiko's son. asahi was the latest to report the news. moreover, it seems like while right-leaning papers would use keigo such as "sareru" for "suru", asahi used the normal written form, without keigo. It's quite interesting to spot the differences.

I agree that even when a reporter weighs in but offers little perspective, NHK has adopted an almost completely noninterpretive close-to-the-facts neutral style of coverage.

I'm sure TBS, Fuji and NTV do include opinions and commentary by their anchors, but they also present a much higher rate of 'soft news' (disaster, crime, human interest, etc) than the non commerical networks. The strongest well-researched by strict journalistic standards, rational political analysis and critical news reporting I've seen in Japan actually comes from TV Asahi on a program called Hodo station (formerly News station). More talk, more 'value added' commentary that transcends the immediate facts of the piece and more focus on Cabinet ministries relative to bureaucrats. (Just as an aside, the downside being greater scandal 'police' coverage, and salacious local news briefs.)

In essence it boils down to the NHK budget having to be approved by the Diet. Which almost by definition from a process standpoint has made a mockery of public service in the pursuit of a 'clear understanding' (mollycoddling) with members of the LDP. It'll be interesting to watch any reaction on either side under the auspices of a more robust, divided government.

Back
Top Bottom