What's new

Douzo yoroshiku

Sekabin

先輩
28 Apr 2003
Hi there!

I just found this forum after reading other (less impressive ;)) Japan-related ones for months. Thought I'd better introduce myself :) I'm 28 (will be next week anyway), male... (beginning to sound like a personal ad this...)

Why am I here? Because I will be moving to Japan in September to work and am excited... and petrified!! I just got married to my Japanese partner last month and we spent 3 weeks in Japan - it was my second time there - and while there it hit home that I'll actually be *living* there in several months... eek!

Honest truth is before meeting my partner I had no real interest in Japan at all, but now *everything* is interesting, especially since visiting the country. I've been studying Japanese in my spare time but my level is best described as 'survival'. One of the things I'll have to sort out when I arrive is finding a Japanese language class, if anyone has any suggestions about that I'd be very grateful.

Anyway enough of me, nice to meet you! 😄

Sek.

Hey there Sekabin,

Welcome! Glad you found us. 🙂

Congrats on your marriage. Sounds like you have an exciting time ahead of you. Do keep us posted. :)

Hi Sekabin, welcome aboard and congratulations!

Honest truth is before meeting my partner I had no real interest in Japan at all, but now *everything* is interesting, especially since visiting the country.
Lol, my personal J-story sounds pretty much the same. :)

Konnichiwa Sekabin-san!
Welcome and Hajimemashite. Kekkon Omedetou!👍
Please enjoy the forum too. Yoroshiku ne.🙂

NANGI

Thanks!

Thanks everyone! Arigatou gozaimasu :)

Actually we had two wedding celebrations - one in the UK and one in Japan while we were there, which was... 'interesting' :eek:

I'm looking forward to moving there, but really am filled with fear!... you wouldn't think it to look at me, but actually I'm a worry-bag :eek:

Still, *everything* fascinated me both times I've visited.

Re: Thanks!

Originally posted by Sekabin
Thanks everyone! Arigatou gozaimasu :)
I'm looking forward to moving there, but really am filled with fear!... you wouldn't think it to look at me, but actually I'm a worry-bag :eek:

hehe, I understand your feeling totally.
reminds me of myself first time I moved to USA.. I couldn't speak English at all.. and I was alone, too.
But fortunately I was young! I didn't feel worried very much.

Don't worry~, Sekanin-san!
You have your wife!!! Not alone!!
🙂

Hello Sekabin ! Welcome to the forum !

I have a pretty similar experience as yours, as I came to Japan because of my girlfriend who's since become my wife. I arrived in Japan with a near zero level of Japanese, but after 1 and a half year, I can already converse easily and understand tv programmes. I went 5 months to a Japanese language school in central Tokyo (Geos Kudan Intitute in Kudanshita). That's one of the cheapest (45000 for 72h a month). The only problem is that classes are rather noisy because there are in average 10 to 20 people (mostly Chinese, Koreans and Philipinos).

When are you going to move to Japan ? Is it going to be Tokyo ?

Originally posted by Maciamo
I have a pretty similar experience as yours, as I came to Japan because of my girlfriend who's since become my wife. I arrived in Japan with a near zero level of Japanese, but after 1 and a half year, I can already converse easily and understand tv programmes. I went 5 months to a Japanese language school in central Tokyo (Geos Kudan Intitute in Kudanshita). That's one of the cheapest (45000 for 72h a month). The only problem is that classes are rather noisy because there are in average 10 to 20 people (mostly Chinese, Koreans and Philipinos).

When are you going to move to Japan ? Is it going to be Tokyo ?

Hi Maciamo!

Wow you can really speak easily after just one and a half years?... I am envious, I think it will take me longer than that (although I hope not!). Maybe I'll use the same language school you used.

We will move to Japan in September (I start work on October 1st). Yes, Tokyo! Is that where you are?

Yes, I live in Tokyo as well. Do you already know in which part you'll be moving in ? I live in Central-East Tokyo.

You should start talking as much Japanese with your wife as possible. Once in Japan, it will probably be a bit hard during a few months to adapt to the language because you'll have so much to assimilate. When I went to that Japanese language school, I used to have a headache almost everyday after 3,5h of Japanese. But the more headache and the quicker you learn. It's like muscle, if you do fitness and don't feel anything, your body mass is not going to change. But avoid the neurasthenia by overstudy ; that's not going to help either. 2 or 3h of Japanese a day is surely enough.

BTW, where about in the UK are you from ?

where to live

Well, about where to live... it's a difficult decision (because we won't be rich!), but we're hoping to get somewhere near-ish to kichijoji/mitaka, as my wife's parent's and family are around there.

My wife and I already talk Japanese as much as possible, but our conversations are *extremely* limited LOL. I'll definitely take your advice on language schools though.

Oh, I'm from York, north of England. Tokyo, as you can imagine is quite a change! 😲

Had you studied Japanese at all before you moved to Japan, or was it just what you'd picked up from your girlfriend?

Last edited:
I had started with the book "Japanese in 6 weeks" or something, but that didn't even bring me to a beginner level. I was almost able to read hiragana, katakana and a few kanji when I arrived, but I didn't even know the expression "yoroshiku oneigaishimasu", that I had to learn on the train from the airport before meeting my future in-laws !

hi everyone! I'm a new member in here. my name is sherry. I was 18 years old. nice too meet you all...

Konnichiwa Yuna -san!

Welcome and Hajimemashite! I suggest you that you should start new thread in this Member Introductions forum.
Yoroshiku ne!🙂

NANGI

Back
Top Bottom