What's new

Default setting request

Glenn

一切皆苦
8 Jan 2004
Would it be possible to have the "Remember me" box unchecked by default? I have to uncheck it every time I come here, and the people who have already checked it don't have to do it again, unless they log out, so it seems to me that it would make more sense to have it unchecked. It wasn't really too much of an issue before, but there are other forums that I visit that have it set the opposite of here, and, well, habit and all... Anyway, I was just wondering if it wouldn't be too much trouble to have that changed. Thanks!

I second the motion. To have that box checked as the default mode strikes simple folks as some kind of trick. It is much too easy to overlook the unchecking of the box.

If you had checked closer, you'd have noticed that this feature has already been enabled months ago.

Welcome aboard, btw! 🙂

Glenn said:
Would it be possible to have the "Remember me" box unchecked by default?

I still see what Glenn sees, a check in the box when I login.

What feature are you referring to, thomas?

And thanks for the welcome.

By the way, have you seen Carlson's airplane's wing? I've been looking all over the forum for it. The law of aerodynamics states that Carlson's airplane can't stay aloft much longer.

suirai said:
I still see what Glenn sees, a check in the box when I login.
What feature are you referring to, thomas?
And thanks for the welcome.
By the way, have you seen Carlson's airplane's wing? I've been looking all over the forum for it. The law of aerodynamics states that Carlson's airplane can't stay aloft much longer.
Glenn made this post a few months ago, that's what Thomas is referring to ;-)

It's not checked by default, Thomas changed that a long time ago.

I'm sorry, but it is still checked by default. Although I trust my eyes of the past 24 hours I'll go log out and log back in just to be absolutely sure.
Yep, it is checked when asking me to login and remains checked throughout the login. I can do a screen capture to show anyone who wishes to see.

suirai said:
I'm sorry, but it is still checked by default. Although I trust my eyes of the past 24 hours I'll go log out and log back in just to be absolutely sure.
Yep, it is checked when asking me to login and remains checked throughout the login. I can do a screen capture to show anyone who wishes to see.
No need for that, it seems to be as you said.My apologies :)

Mea maxima culpa!

I apologise, I should really spend at least five more seconds when skimming through posts...
😌

Actually, vB comes with the unchecked box by default, but I have changed that a while ago upon user request. So, if there's a motion to revert to the unchecked version if will gladly comply.

I think there are two things to consider.

Veteran forumers/forumites will not expect to see a checked box by default and may miss it the first few times.

Those that are not familiar with forums at all won't know the difference and for them it may be best to have it unchecked by default.

From a selfish point of view, I've now spent so much time on the issue that I won't forget and it makes little difference to me now.

But I stand by my first impression when I posted my first message after Glenn, checked by default seems a kind of trick. Don't mind me, though. I'm always suspicious. Especially on the Net.

Thou wishest, and thou shallst receive... unchecked by default.

suirai said:
But I stand by my first impression when I posted my first message after Glenn, checked by default seems a kind of trick. Don't mind me, though. I'm always suspicious. Especially on the Net.

It is a trick. However, most users do not notice. I'll have to keep an eye on you.

I just noticed that when I logged in a second ago. Thanks, thomas!

Back
Top Bottom