What's new

Cell Phone Rental

BlueThunderKuno

Baseball Samurai
3 Jul 2007
I didnt see this question when I searched the forums, but I wanted to know where I could rent a cell phone when I am in Japan.

Perferably one that is shipped to my US address, and then I just put it in a pre-paid envelope when I am about to leave Japan and drop it in the post.

I am not sure what to look for in regaurds to cost, style, ect.

I will be over in Japan for 2 weeks so I am looking for a company that gives discounts for weekly rentals.

Thanks JREF forum guys and gals 🙂

Never heard of that kind of service. But you can just walk up to one of the phone rental service counters at the airport and rent a phone right there. When you get back there for your departure you return it to them.

I put in "cell phone" and got 230 hits. Here are some of the more relevant ones. Don't give up on your own research so easily.

Mobile phones - where to buy
buying a mobile phone as a gaijin
Acquiring a keitai (mobile phone)
cellphones and money - HELP!
Used keitai
Perfect Phone Plan
Pre-Paid Cell Phone
Houseteks Guides to Tokyo

A friend of mine rented a phone and had it shipped to him before he left for Japan. I can't remember the name of the service he went through, but the convenience seemed stunted compared to the other phones available even within the airport, especially considering the inordinate pain in the *** it was to return the phone to the company.

Nice Gaijin yea I saw some of those, but it seemed they were about buying a cell phone in Japan so I skipped over them. Thanks for the links though.

Do you know if there is a way to see the rates the airport can give me before I get to Japan?

edit: actually n/m I found rates on the airport website.

Last edited:
well you can hire a cell from the airport as soon a syou arrive but it is handy to know your number well in advance.
I used a company called adamsphones.com but Im in the Uk but pretty sure they have a US office.
I just put japanese mobile into google and a few hire companies popped up, give that a bash.

Great, looks like I have a lot to work with. Just out of curiosity where can I obtain Japan to USA calling cards online? I just keep finding cards from the USA to call other countries.

Where are you flying into and out of? If Narita, just head to http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/guide/service/list/svc_19.html

I've used JAL ABC several times. I get the phone for emergencies and also so folks can call me from the US. I don't use it if I don't have to. Incoming calls are free, and rental is around $2/day. I reserve online and pick up/drop off at the airport. Counters are in both the arrival and departure lobbies.

Check out "Housetek" 's thread "Perfect Phone Plan" in this Forum from June 2007: explains it all. Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom