What's new

Can you stay in Japan without internet?

Muz1234

Sempai
13 Aug 2014
Is it possible to stay in Japan and without an internet connection? Or is it going to get bored without the internet?

Is it possible? Yes, it is. In Japan and anywhere else.

Personally, I couldn't think of anything more delightful and reinvigorating than a few days of absence from any device connected to the internet.

Is it possible to stay in Japan and without an internet connection? Or is it going to get bored without the internet?
I would say it depends on the person. Can you live in your own country without Internet? The answer should be the same.
Minimally you will want a connection on your phone so that you can use online maps, train schedules, etc.

If I learn Japanese from the internet, that means I assume the internet is my teacher. I bought some Japanese dictionary books, and material revisions. I feel confuse which is the best teacher of my learning progress, the books? Or the internet?

I mean people did took JLPT before there was internet, right? Or before there was internet, people did learn it through other source of methods besides internet.

I feel like learning Japanese like Nathan Algren in The Last Samurai film.

I mean people did took JLPT before there was internet, right? Or before there was internet, people did learn it through other source of methods besides internet.
Indeed. I did it the old-fashioned way. I took classes with textbooks in college. Did self-study using print materials. And lived in Japan where I used a private tutor. The extent of my electronics was using an electronic dictionary from Casio called a "WordTank." Even then I didn't make it to JLPT1. Once I got good enough in everyday conversation and living and got busy with work and life, studying to pass a test became less of a priority for me.
I think the Internet has made things a lot easier but using the Internet as your teacher especially in the early levels has its own pitfalls.

People tell me all the time that I need a cell phone, but I seem to be doing just fine without one. Internet access would be the same idea.

People tell me all the time that I need a cell phone, but I seem to be doing just fine without one.
Probably because the people you are with have one. It would be hard to go back to a truly non-connected life.
Back in the day when picking somebody up at the airport or such cases, we'd have to use a third party on a landline to act as a message service.
"Ok if there is an issue call Mom and leave a message and I'll do the same." And then there would be a flurry of calls via pay phones if needed.
A flat tire on the side of the road you would generally have no recourse but to suck it up and change it yourself. Or hope some good Samaritan stops to help. I don't really miss those days.

The true answer is No, not on your first visit or first year living there. The internet is your friend and information to get around Japan within the 1st six month.

I know someone who lived without the internet for years and still doesn't really use it. It's not the only source of entertainment and information (though nobody could deny its potential usefulness)

Back
Top Bottom