What's new

Best CJK linux distro

ax

後輩
27 May 2003
I've been testing some linux distro recently, but none pleased me as much as the old userfriendly winxp. I know there were things that unpleased me as well in windows which is also why I am trying out all this distros. Since I am a newbie, my opinion may not represents fact that linux is so powerful and all.

Would someone give me advice on what distro is best to let me do these few things.
- running skype
- running msn w/ webcam capabilities
- playing mp3/mpg/avi and most popular codecs
- changing input system of at least Traditional Chinese, Japanese and English

thanks in advance.

ax

Pretty much any linux distro can do what you want. Depending on the distro, you may have to download some media apps. I know some distros don't iclude full functionality do to licensing concerns. Skype has a version of Linux. For a beginner, I'd suggest Ubuntu ( Enterprise Open Source and Linux | Ubuntu ). Redhat Fedora ( http://fedora.redhat.com/ ) and Mandrake ( NameBright - Coming Soon ) are also suggested for beginners. A good site for linux questions is www.justlinux.com.
Any problems you run into or any questions you have will more than likely been answered there.

I have installed ubuntulinux the other night and frankly I am not very happy with it. I don't like the look and it doesn't allow me to tweak the language options from its control panel. The only thing I like about ubuntu is its step by step dialog box that guide beginners thru different kind of driver and application setup.

I wanna try Centos tonight. I want to install VMware and run windows from it.

ax

Back
Top Bottom